Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video What are Your personal Current "To Learn" Songs?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

might be a fun thread — what are each of you working to learn/practice this year?

my list:

– Birdland
      – In the Mood
      – Pick Up the Pieces
      – Peter Gunn theme
      – Take Five
      – Play that Funky Music
      – Cantaloupe Island
      – Harlem Nocturne
      – Tequila
      – Careless Whisper

post a few of your ‘works in progress’ — thanks!

Before choosing, I check on https://www.youtube.com/music_policies

Michael
      Participant

@ Jazz Cat: Those will be cool songs for you to learn/upload. Except for the Soprano Sax, I’m taking a step back from learning songs because I’ve already learned a good chunk of Johnny’s Sax covers, as well as personal stuff, and have held back from uploading them…but that’s about to change. Of the songs you listed above, I’ve learned 5 of those, so I’ll be just focusing on uploading what I have learned. Rather, my focus is on taking my Improvising to ‘another level’ through working on Johnny’s Major Scale course in conjunction with what I’m doing locally. On top of that, playing with the Blues Society, I have plenty to keep me busy 🙂 The only exception to what I’m saying is for the Soprano, I started working on Johnny’s cover of “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy”. On a side note, most of the videos I share here on Johnny’s site will be uploaded through dailymotion.com, you don’t have the problems that more and more players are finding on youtube. You don’t have as many viewers, but I’m not worried about that. I just use them to share with Johnny, friends on facebook, etc.. I have over 1,400 FB friends and the list continues to grow and they’ll all see the videos regardless of where I post them. A lot of playing friends of mine have slowly moved away from youtube and are using other avenues to network with other people and it’s working great for them 🙂 I still will be uploading some stuff to youtube.

Anonymous

some good stuff there JC!

My teacher has started me off on the blues improvisation journey.
          Only had 3 lessons so far and got about 10 basic blues exercises to learn
          from memory. It’s not just a case of moving up and down a basic blues scale like a robot, but more a case of how you express the shapes and colours when you play each note and phrase – expression/feelings is vital to playing the blues.

so my goals will be to record my progress on each of the exercises, over the months to come.

But i also have a list of classical tracks i want to record – classical music is great for developing expression.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.