Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Stopping Squeaks: "squeak-buster" tips….

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

I just got my YTS62 — it’s perfect, yay. Plays like a champ.

I noticed only squeak was again on high G, so it’s me. Here’s what I found:
      I’m inadvertently pressing a bit on one of the palm keys, which causes G squeak.

When I pay attention to not having the side of my hand brush up against the
      palm keys (high D# I think), no more squeaks.

That’s a challenge in going from alto 30+ yrs to tenor, is making your
      hands hold the larger tenor wider. Any tips?

Pete
      Participant

Hi Jazz Cat
        Accidently touching a palm key is one of the most common
        causes of squeaks, glad you found it.

Pete
        Participant

Meant to say, glad you like your new sax.

Mark Kiziuk
          Participant

Congrats Jazz Cat!
            Mark

Mark Kiziuk
            Participant

Hey William I was looking up the humidity pack that comes with the reed holder that I’m getting and this is what it says,”It also eliminates the conditions that allow for the growth of bacteria, mold or mildew.”
              Mark

William Cingolani
              Participant

Hi Mark, what’s the name of your reed holder and humidity pack. Sounds like you have a good thing.

Mark Kiziuk
                Participant

Hi William, it’s called “D’Addario Multi-Instrument Reed Storage Case with Humidity Control Pack for all Clarinets and Saxophones.” You can find this on Amazon and sometimes eBay for around $20 U.S. Dollars.
                  Mark

Mark Kiziuk
                  Participant

From my understanding of this thing they keep the reeds humidity at around 72 percent, which then make the reeds require less wetting. It also eliminates the conditions that allow for the growth of bacteria, mold or mildew. You will never have to use distilled water sponges, tortilla, bread or lettuce for re-hydration. These are all the exact sentences that I got by reading about the Reed case and the humidifier pack on eBay.
                    Mark

Andrew Gibson
                    Participant

My only suggestion is not blow too hard, easier said than done

1. Try a harder reed.
                      2. Think about your airflow for each note; I think you need more pressure for the 2nd octave notes, less for the lower ones.
                      3. Concentrate on a steady stream of air even when tonguing.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.