Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Soul Serenade

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    William Cingolani
    Participant

I see there is a Solo at the end of bar 34 in Soul Serenade. Where does the solo end.

William Cingolani
      Participant

I’M STILL WITH “SOUL SERENADE”. In the song description Johnny says that the sheet music has all the notes for the solo. The solo starts at the end of bar 34. So does the solo go for the rest of the song and end on bar 86. Or do I make up my own solo and play until the backing track ends. I read much of the info about the song. What kind of blues is “Soul Serenade”? It’s mostly a I/IV progression, Bb to Eb.

john
        Keymaster

yes the solo starts at end of bar 34 and goes right to the end.
          yes it’a a I to IV progression and so you can just use a major pentatonic blues scale: 1,2,3,5,6
          in Bb as it is in the tenor chart this is; Bb,D,Eb,F,G
          if you look closely at my solo you’ll see several uses of the C note as well which is the 6th of the Eb major pentatonic scale.
          you can get away with just using the Bb pentatonic all the way thru but you can also add the Eb pentatonic when it hits the IV chord.

also, write down both scales and then circle the notes common to both scales
          you’ll see that there are 4 notes in both scale that are common so you know that no matter where in the progression you are these notes will sound good., the notes that are not common to both scales need to be placed more carefully in the progression;
          eg. Eb will sound better over the IV chord

William Cingolani
          Participant

Hey Hey Hey! I’m right on. Before I got your message Johnny I did just what you wrote. I wrote the pentatonic scales for Bb and Eb on a piece of paper to help keep track of where I’m supposed to be. I have Bb pentatonic – Bb, C, D, f. G. and Eb pentatonic as Eb,F,G,Bb,C. Looks like the 4 notes in common to both scales are F, G, Bb, and C. And today I recorded it using both pentatonic scales. I’ll refine the recording before I post it paying more attention to using the 6th note. Thanks Johnny.

john
            Keymaster

While sitting I was blowing “Soul Serenade”, and “Stand by Me”, and “Lean on Me” and I tried holding my sax in front between my knees with the bell close to resting on my left leg/knee. To my surprise the notes were easier to blow like low Bb. I also resorted to my bari harness. The bari harness carries the load on both shoulders. I notice JB holds his sax between his legs while sitting. So it’s out front between my legs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.