Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Plastic reeds

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    Participant

Tried some Vandoren Java Red reeds. They will be my go to reed now. 🙂

john
      Keymaster

I liked them because they were a little more ready to go outta the box
        also a little brighter maybe. (rather than the java or v16’s)

Mel
        Participant

well I am back to the number 2 Vandoren regular reed. I like the java red reed but for some reason I tend to play flat with it. I can play the regular #2 with my mouthpiece about half way on the cork and play the notes in tune. When the java red is on I have to push the mouthpiece a lot farther on and the notes want to play flat. Is this my inexperience showing through saying I shouldn’t play a java red?????? The regular number 2 plays like it was made for the Jody Jazz Hard Rubber mouthpiece.

john
          Keymaster

maybe because the reds are a bit lighter.

Mel
            Participant

Haven’t given up on the Java Reds. I know the regular Vandorens play well with the Jody Jazz mouthpiece. I put a Java 2.5 on yesterday and have been blowing scales hard with it and it has been playing fine. It’s big and bright. I moved my ligature back a little more to let it vibrate more and that seems to work well. I’m still new but it is fun to play around a little bit.

jake
              Participant

Hey Mel. I used the Java reds in the past but changed to a Firbracell synthetic reed. Well, the synthetic reed I was using is all over the play intonation wise for me so after playing around with the various reeds I have, I find myself back to the Java Red 3. Took me a couple days but am finding them to respond well. The intonation is way better for me as compared to the Fibracell. I changed my lig as well so I seem to have a decent little setup on my Fatboy now! At first I missed the buzziness of the fibracell but I’m back to the basics of Johnny’s warmup course and can hear a difference after just a few days practice!!
                I do prefer the Reds over the Greens. The greens are stiffer and aren’t as bright and buzzy sounding when I play them. My preference def is with the Java red!

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.