Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax Pics of my new Selmer Soprano

• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

@ Jeff–yes, it is a superb Selmer for the $, I honestly can’t think of a better Soprano for the $. The folks at Sax.Co.Uk can ship to you anywhere in the world, they’re not limited to where you live, so don’t let that hold you back. Of course they sell other Saxophones at a very high price, but as you can see that’s certainly not the case with all of their Saxophones. Incidentally, they also have the same model of Selmer Soprano available for Tenor and Alto too for a fantastic price, have a look at the link for Tenor and Alto below. Just from playing this Soprano, I would not hesitate 1 bit to seriously consider this same line for Tenor/Alto. While it certainly doesn’t compare to say a Selmer Mark 6, it’s a far superior Sax to say the Selmer Bundy–I have played the Bundy, great Sax too 🙂 You can never go wrong with Saxophones like Selmer, Yamaha, Trevor James, etc..

http://www.sax.co.uk/selmer-usa-liberty-tenor-saxophone-gold-lacquer.ir
      http://www.sax.co.uk/selmer-usa-liberty-alto-sax-gold-lacquer-as501l.ir

Anonymous

Michael, if I still lived in the UK I would spend looong hours in the sax shops, what a selection!
        I have a Yamaha YTS-62, a YAS-26 and a Blessing curved Soprano, those will be good enough for me
        to become an accomplished player. And then …

My dream sax is the YAS-875EXB – Alto Black, but I’m not greedy I’ll settle for a
        Yamaha YAS-82ZB – Alto Black, which would be a wonderful Christmas gift – don’t you think?

I must say my little YAS-26 just keeps getting better at singing, it’s a great student sax.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Jeff, that YAS-26 is all you really need–pair it up with a high-quality MP, reed, ligature with rock-solid technique and you’re good to go. I would be more than content to have that model of Yamaha, they’ve been around for a LONG time. You can see by looking at the links I posted above that I didn’t choose the most expensive Sax, I chose what would be considered a student/intermediate model–I think in the description it even describes the Soprano I chose as a Student model. Like I was saying above, the reed itself makes a HUGE difference–being honest, how many times do we seriously give thought to having the right reed? Check out the video below of a friend I made on youtube. His name is Jason and he lives about 4 hours from me–we’ve talked about getting together soon and doing some gigs, his Sax knowledge runs DEEP. He tried this Sax with the reed that came stock with the Sax, took it off and put on his reed of choice that he normally uses, look at what happens! 🙂 Picking the right reed for the MP you’re using can make such a huge difference, it’s so important that we would almost think that a player changed his MP or something. Many times, just like the nuts/bolts that hold the tires on to your car–and we all know what will happen if the bolts/nuts come off of the tires LOL–it’s the smaller things that make all the difference in the world. The answer we’re looking for in our playing COULD be in a simple box of reeds.

Anonymous

Michael, this chap has fluid fingers! I am using Vandoren Java #2 on the YAS 4C MP. I use two reeds in my case at a time and alternate daily between the two reeds. The previous two reeds lasted for about six months, although they still looked perfect they had become too soft and started to squeak. When I changed to two new reeds I was surprised at the tone difference, there was a buzz to the sound which I hadn’t heard before. One thing to bear in mind is that the reed grain differs from reed to reed so even within a box of ‘reliable’ reeds one can expect some variation in performance. I must say that after playing for over two years I am becoming less bothered by the reed and can focus more on playing technique. I’m moving from the frustrating stage into the enjoyable part of my sax journey.

I just bought myself a Philips DVT2500 voice tracer for hassle free recording. It’s small and will fit in my Sax case, my idea is to record my playing daily so I can listen to myself play without needing cabling, computer, mic etc. I had to laugh because I didn’t think I had an English accent. The first time I recorded with my USB mic I nearly fell off the chair when I heard my voice, I didn’t recognise it. It must be similar when hearing our sax sound whilst playing. The DVT2500 has stereo mics and a 50-20000 Hz range so it will be interesting to compare it’s recording quality to my USB mic.

wayne wojnarowski
            Participant

Hey Jeff , long time no talk!! my horn is a at least 25 yrs old it too is not a Selmer but I like it it’s a Yanagisawa, I’ve been debating getting a different horn…Hey Johnnie what would a different horn do for your playing ?Would altissimo be easier to hit or will your tonality sound that much better? I’ve been watching this guy play songs just on the mouthpiece. It’s all about using your throat and larynx muscles, really cool.. Play high D palm key , than play C# … go back to playing high D palm key… Now drop tone to C# without taking your finger off of side palm key. Meaning use your throat muscles to lower the pitch don’t change your embouchure . Here is a good one. Play middle f with oct. key
              play f without oct. key . Finger mid. F but get oct. key F tone without pressing the oct. key, than produce the low F tone with the same fingering

Anonymous

Hi Wayne, I’ve been trying the overtones, but 10 minutes of those exercises is really tiring.
                So your Yanag is 25yrs old, and I thought the Yanagisawa horns were a newcomer to the market!
                When are you going to do some more Sax noodling? We quite enjoyed your last sax video.
                The nice thing about these recordings is one can view them before uploading to a website, and record it again if there is problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.