Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Green Green Grass Of Home

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

Did Johnny ever post the “Green Green Grass Of Home”
      William

RockinRobin
      Participant

I found it in another music book
        William

saxomonica
        Participant

Hi William, trust you’re well,

cheers Mark 🙂

Leo Salu
          Participant

Mark that was great never heard that song played by sax who knew!

saxomonica
            Participant

Hi Leo, yes he plays the air very well, with good articulation and some nice well played growls ya.

A Swiss tenor and alto player, fyi his You Tube site, is “Sax Element”. Also Facebook and Tic Toc.

🙂

► Says Felin Fach

‘Claude “Curly” Putman Jr originally wrote the song. It was first performed by Johnny Darrell in 1965 but was then made popular by Porter Wagoner in that year. It was also performed by Jerry Lee Lewis. Tom Jones’ version sold over 1 million copies worldwide and his version was a number one or in the top ten singles charts of countries including Australia, Belgium, Canada, Norway and the USA, to name a few!

The words to Green, Green Grass of Home have been interpreted in many different ways over the years. Some see it as a celebration of home and hearth, while others view it as a commentary on the prison of nostalgia and the impossibility of ever recapturing the past.

Written by Nashville songwriter Curly Putman, the words to Green, Green, Grass of Home tell the tale of a condemned prisoner who is longing to escape to the green, green grass of home. At the end of the song, it was revealed that the man is facing execution, and he will be coming home only to be buried.

According to Putman, part of the inspiration behind writing the words to Green, Green Grass of Home came after watching The Asphalt Jungle. The 1950 film noir directed by John Huston follows a group of men trying to carry out an ill-fated heist.

One of the characters, Dix Handley, got involved in the heist because of his longing to get out of the city and buy back the Kentucky horse farm he grew up on. However, by the end of the film, Dix found himself gravely wounded and is running from the law. In the final scene, he finally made it back to his old family farm – a rural idyll with rolling hills and a scenic white farmhouse – unfortunately, he died from his gunshot wound.

At its core, however, the song is a poignant meditation on the human condition, and the way that we are shaped by our memories and experiences. It speaks to the universal desire to return to a simpler time, but also to the knowledge that such a return is impossible.

The words to Green Green Grass of Home have become a cultural touchstone and the song has been covered by countless artists over the years. Its themes of love, loss, and the passage of time continue to resonate with listeners of all ages, and it remains one of the most beloved songs of the 20th century. It is arguable that of all of the singers of this song, it is Tom Jones who made the song, Green, Green Grass of Home, truly famous!’

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

Lyrics

The old hometown looks the same
              As I step down from the train
              And there to meet me is my mama and papa
              Down the road I look and there runs Mary
              Hair of gold and lips like cherries
              It’s good to touch the green, green grass of home
              Yes, they’ll all come to meet me
              Arms reaching, smiling sweetly
              The old house is still standing
              Though the paint is cracked and dry
              And there’s that old oak tree that I used to play on
              Down the lane, I walk with my sweet Mary
              Hair of gold and lips like cherries
              Then I awake and look around me
              At four grey walls that surround me
              And I realize, yes, I was only dreaming
              For there’s a guard and there’s a sad, old padre
              On and on, we’ll walk at daybreak
              Again, I’ll touch the green, green grass of home
              Yes, they’ll all come to see me
              In the shade of that old oak tree
              As they lay me
              ‘Neath the green, green grass of home

Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Curly Putman
              Green Green Grass of Home lyrics © Tree International, Tree Publishing Co. Inc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.