Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Fiber carbon reeds, hemp and Onyx. My personal comments

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    Participant

I have been playing my Black Onyx medium soft reed and I do like it. My Java Red 2 1/2 gives me a more deep bellow on the Bb. I would never hesitate to use the Black Onyx but for now I am going to stick with the Javas.

Pete
      Participant

Thanks William, Johnny did say a while back they(onyx)
        were not available for some reason, so you like the onyx
        Mel but prefer java?

Mel
        Participant

For now on the Jody Jazz I like my Java Red. The Java Green are also very good but I just get a fuller tone with the Red. Was thinking of trying some Rico Jazz Select reeds some day. Anyone have any experience with those??

Pete
          Participant

Yes used rico jazz select and lavoz and java, just pot luck
            with reeds Mel when do you say “utopia, go with the one your
            happy with.

Mel
            Participant

I took my Black Onyx Medium Soft reed for a run today thinking that I will try and save on some reeds practicing. I must say by putting a little more bottom lip into this thing it sounded really good.

john
              Keymaster

great Mel. today I recorded my new song video (which will be up very soon). I lined up a few Vandoren Java’s and after blowing thru 4 I slapped on my onyx medium and went with that. I know I can eventually find a Java that will outperform the onyx but it felt as good as the 4 I had layed out and so why waste time!

Tim56
                Participant

Fiber Onyx Soft reed. Guys, I just sanded my soft reed tip. Used 1000 grit wet and dry sand paper. I put the reed on a mouth piece out from the tip just a little bit. Did it dry. easy to do! Slowly. Sanded at 90 degrees like the Hartman site teaches. Bottom line,,, the reed plays much better. I was having trouble with the high notes. No problem. I sanded 3 times, trying to play as I went. Good luck! Take your time. Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.