Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Fiber carbon reeds, hemp and Onyx. My personal comments

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi William. My Selmer S80 and silver C* MPs fit quite a bit tighter on the cork than my Std plastic 4C. When using the Rico cork grease the MP pushed the grease up the cork as it went, hence difficult to slide up the neck cork. The bees wax seems to penetrate the cork and is a better lubricant which protects and seals the cork. Also rub a little wax on the brass insert end of the neck as well, which protects the brass from uneven wear from chafing.

Pete
      Participant

Johnny
        Any news on the Fiber Onyx reeds availability and
        what strength will be available if any.
        They are not available here in UK only the hemp
        and carbon fiber available, not the onyx.

Rick
        Participant

Just received my new hemp tenor Reed (M) in the mail yesterday and Have been trying it out on the different mouthpieces that I currently have.
          I have noticed that the reed takes bit more air to get it to play. Also it sounds a bit flat compared to my regular #2.5 Vandoren reeds. Not sure if these reeds need to be worked in a bit before they play better. I have used Fibrecell reed 2.75 and have found that they play brighter off the bat. I also ordered the Onyx fiber carbon alto reed and have founf it to be brighter right from first playing it.

Pete
          Participant

Rick
            I found the med hemp to play “straight” off from low Bb
            no problem, only thing I find sometimes a little buzzy
            the onyx is the one I waiting for, Johnny played one on
            demo and Imo it sounded really great and I think he
            was using the carbon m/p, I didn’t find it flat with my
            10M MERLOT HR M/P.

john
            Keymaster

wow, Rick, it’s quite the opposite for me…I find my hemp M really easy to play and brighter sounding than the onyx.
              Flat? I guess if you’re having a hard time blowing it that could cause you to play flat. keep experimenting a bit, and don’t forget that you can work on them by shaving em down slightly.

William Cingolani
              Participant

Hemp reed and Onyx reed;
                To day I played my MS hemp reed and my soft Onyx reed. Both reeds played well from low Bb to high F#. I still have a bit trouble with the fork. I prefer the hemp reed. Both reeds had a soft mellow sounding low Bb which is what I want.I was blowing “You’ve lost that loving’ feeling” in E flat. The first note is low Bb. The hemp reed gave me a nice soft sounding Bb. I recorded a few lines in garage band just to hear what it sounded like.I might be liking this MS hemp reed better than my java 2.5 reeds. I think I might order a spare Fiber HEMP REED MS. I NEED TO FIND THE PLACE on this site where I can order another hemp reed.

William Cingolani
                Participant

I found the order page and I just now ordered a spare fiber hemp reed

Pete
                  Participant

William
                    Do you know if the onyx reed is available yet
                    I have asked Johnny but not had any reply yet,
                    I like the hemp reed ( medium) but find it a
                    tad to buzzy. William I think fiber reeds are the way forward
                    and a lot cheaper.

Pete
                    Participant

William
                      When I say ” cheaper” I mean long term.

William Cingolani
                      Participant

Peter,
                        I did get my Onyx reed so they must be available. I like the buzz I get from the hemp reed. I ordered a spare hemp reed today, size MS.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.