Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Adjusting a reed that doesn't play well

• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by john.
Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dazza
    Participant

Interestingly I left a few of my new ZZ’s in a glass of water for a day by mistake and returned to practice last night and put one on. I have been having trouble again dropping down to the low D as it wants to go an ocatve higher on my new MBII of all things! After putting on the soaked reed it instantly wasn’t an issue and it would sound a lot more easily from all directions. I am uncertain whether the long soak was all that was necessary or maybe just need to be more patient and give them a good 5 minute soak before starting to play. I remember Johnny once saying that he leaves his reeds on the MP and just picks it up and plays and it soon comes good. JF – do you soak before you stroke (your horn that is!) as a general rule?

john
      Keymaster

No, like you stated, I rarely take the reed of my mp. just when I get a new box or 2 I chuck em all in the glass of water and go thru them.
        Dazza, you should experiment with this since you have had some interestingly good results… find out why. Do a 5-10 minute soak, 12 hour soak etc to see if there are any differences. I’m by no means suggesting my way of just leaving the reed on is good, and would rather recommend no one do that. I’m lazy that way and the reed really does pop back after a minute of playing so it works for me but there are better ways!

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.