Home Forums Share a Saxophone Video Wolves ??

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jak Swift jak Swift 5 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jak Swift
    jak Swift
    Participant

Hi folks, hope everybody is well. I’m going to have to research this a little; but in short.
    Last night, the last song on Iggy Pops weekly radio show; a slow tune by a young lady whose name I have to find. A good song; slow; but the most amazing solo at the end. I say at the end , it took up the last third of the track.
    So; why such interest ? Well; firstly , it was the best ” modern ” solo I have heard in a long time. The big thing….I think I may know the guy that played it. Martin Green and I both attended music school in the eighties. From there we both ended up in ” Amazon ” studios; Liverpool. Martin recording with the band ” Black “, myself with the newly formed ” Shack ” on their first album….” Zilch “.
    ( sadly this album had all kinds of production issues, and was re mastered. Credits given to Snake Davies horn section. As to whether the ts \ bs parts are mine and were left on, I have no idea. Long time back and no real interest ).Prior to ” Shack “…the band was ” The pale fountains “….now Michael Head and the ” Red elastic band ”
    Martin made the huge leap , moving to London to work as a session player. From what I have heard, he found it incredibly demanding, finally getting a break on Gordon Haskell’s second album.
    I digress. I know Martins playing. He’s a great guy, and a tremendous player. If this is him on this track….if I can find it…now a world class player. ” Wolves “….that’s all I have to go on; but I’m going to check it out later.
    Great weekend all….jak 😯

jak Swift
    Participant

KAREN ELSON !! Hope you enjoy it…!!☺

jak Swift
    Participant

Wolf, not wolves. The you tube clip sounds a lot shorter than the track played last night. Still a great solo. Is it Martin ? Guess I’ll never know unless I buy the album.
    Great weekend folks….😊

jak Swift
    Participant

Hmmm…apologies for going off on a bit of a tangent there. I’ve looked into it ; wolf, wolves; I guess there is more than one take. My old friend or not, if you get a chance , give it a listen, it really is a great solo.
    Back to better known players, if tone is your thing, check out an older ” Fathead ” Newman playing Alfie on you tube…stunning !!😊

jak Swift
    Participant

No listens.. ? No worries; it is a great solo.
    I’m gonna stop doing this. The forum states load a clip. All I can do is suggest; I can’t load. Apologies. As for mpcs….Berg, Lawton, Link….three classics. Done !! Reeds , Done !!
    Playing….let’s get to it !!☺
    Take care everybody. I’ve said enough for now. Have a great Summer and I’ll be checking these clips as often as I can.
    TAKE IT EASY…..JAK.😉

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Liked it Jak!

jak Swift
    Participant

Mel; you are a Gentleman. I’ve been really stressing as to my place here. I don’t have the facilities to load stuff, but really am enthusiastic about great playing, and sharing it. When nobody commented on that last one ; I guess I thought ” enough “….” I can’t just talk it up and let somebody else take the work “……
    The level of friendship here is just great..!!
    ☺THANKS MEL !!
    Haven’t heard the whole album, but I’m glad you liked the solo…..My old. friend or not, that is some class playing…

jak Swift
    Participant

I thought you were on holiday man !!😇

jak Swift
    Participant

Can’t resist letting you know one last one. The ” Crown Vics “. Not to be confused with the Rockabilly band from Bangor , Maine; I’m not sure where they are from ?
    We touched on ” Flying Home “….check out the tenor man. Its all on you tube. Superb player…!!
    Been listening to Red Prysock, pretty much constant this last week. Man what a player. The album ” Zonked ” is a must have if R & R is your thing. Don’t have it to hand right now, but one track…” Rooster Strut ” ( walk ? ) just about sums our thing up in one short track. A kind of medium tempo blues shuffle, it has everything. Walking bass line, I think played on bari; tenor solo over. 2.30.
    First chance I get to go in the studio, this one is going down !!
    Until I get a laptop; take care, practice hard, and yeah….I guess I’ll see y,all if and when….
    Health & Happiness….jak☺

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Rooster Walk – A good tune. I like Red Prysock a lot. A big influence on Piccolo. I like that Heavy Juice album by Piccolo a lot if anyone hasn’t noticed. 🙂

jak Swift
    Participant

No, I don’t think anybody has noticed us digging Greg Piccolo Mel….😉. Red Prysock is among my big influences, along with Lee Allen, Sam Butera, Illinois Jacquet, Arnett Cobb. The ” Texas tenors “.
    There was a guy joined us a while back from Texas. Introduced himself, but hasn’t joined in the forum as of yet.
    One last time Mel: I really appreciate your help in putting these clips up. Crisis of conscience, my not having the facilities to load; but as I said yesterday; hopefully a laptop soon.
    Are you still thinking about the Yani \ 10M fan mpc Mel. Mark ( Sepunick …sic )…. 10M fan himself is an absolute Beatles freak. Adores them, listens 24 \ 7. I keep hassling him as to when he’s coming to Liverpool…. LOL !!
    The invitation is open to you all. Any planned trips to Europe; Liverpool is a place to see. For many , many years this city had a dire even violent reputation. That’s all changed. Billions have been spent over the last ten years or so. The city looks fabulous. The music scene is rocking, the Summer vibe is just great. It would be so good to have one of you guys, partners, friends to come over.
    Always a place, and a rocking welcome at Chez jak….😊

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Jak I won’t be getting the Yani anytime soon. I might get the 10mfan mouthpiece for my Selmer but not rushing into anything. The new D’Addario Select jazz mouthpiece is getting good reviews. I like my Jody jazz mouthpiece.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.