Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Which Guardella will you be buying?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

@ Johnny: I’m actually thinking about going with the Studio for a few reasons. When I had what I call the “watered-down” Amazon Guardala it was a Studio model; so even though it wasn’t a true, authentic Guardala like Nadir is obviously making (hope I spelled his name right), I still already have a feel for a Studio so it wouldn’t take me too long at all to get re-adjusted to it without it being too difficult. So for me with the Studio model, a demo isn’t really necessary because I already have an idea, first hand, of what it’s like…although it would be cool to get your take on it some time for sure. Also, because of some of the stuff I’m doing this year is in more intimate settings v.s. being on a big stage, my concern is using such a powerful Guardala that folks may say I’m just too loud LOL With the Studio, I would be able to have more control through the entire range of the Sax, including soft ballads. Although Nadir doesn’t have a Fatboy Studio for Tenor, I did notice on his site for the Studio he has the choice of either “Original” or “Hand Made Master Enhancement” I would be really interested in knowing what he did to enhance the Studio. The Master Enhancement cost a couple hundered $ more, but if it’s the best thing to do in the long run then paying the extra $ is worth it. Check out the link below to his site and click on the options of “hand work” to see what I mean. In his description he describes it as “The Middle” of the Guardalas; it’s above the Crescent models (the Crescent is too narrow/flat for me) but not the same as an MBII, etc. It as a tip opening of .116″, that’s just about perfect for me.
      https://nadirsaxwind.com/shop/dave-guardala-reborn/the-studio/
      On a side note, I do have a Vandoren Jumbo Java T95 for Tenor coming that I’m going to try out. The Alto A55 is awesome…it has a tip opening of .095″ that’s HUGE for Alto but combined with the comfort of an Ebonite MP it’s been great for me. These MPs are constructed with the same Big Step Baffle and big tip openings that we’re talking about to get that rockin’ sound, but they’re constructed of Ebonite; way superior to Hard Rubber but not quite like a Metal MP; but they do compare to many metal MPs in projection; but obviously they don’t compare to Guardalas. Based on my experience with the Alto Jumbo Java, I simply had to try to Tenor model so that I can make the best decision possible

john
      Keymaster

@ Wayne, you cannot get Guardala MB (Michael Brecker) models such as the MBI and MBII as I showed in the video. These were designed by Dave Guadala specifically for Michael Brecker who was a tenor player.
        But yes you can get Guardala models for alto such as the King (made after King Curtis’ R&B sound) the Studio and the Studio FatBoy. If and when I get my hands on some or any of these I’ll make a video but I don’t know when that will be.

@ Dazza, ok a 7…then you’re not going to be in for too big a jump on any of these. Probably perfect timing for you at this point.

@ Michael, yes the possibilities are endless these days! As for the hand crafted, master enhanced, I know he spend several additional hours on these models so I suppose they are a bit more maticulously finished… will they sound better? I don’t know because I haven’t tried one yet.

Anonymous

i might go in the London shop and try out the alto crescent mouthpiece below
          http://www.sax.co.uk/guardala-new-crescent-alto-sax-mouthpiece-gold-plated.ir

it could be a dark mouthpiece replacement later on for my currant dark ebonite selmar solo mouthpiece.

RRafael
          Participant

I am really leaning towards the MBII but am not sure how to convince my wife it’s a good idea to spend that much money on a mouthpiece :). I guess the only way I’m gonna be able to get it done is to sell one of my tenors, so if anybody is interested in buying a Yamaha YTS23 Tenor let me know and I’d be happy to sell it.

Anonymous

i’ve got the same wife problem (whoops i mean under the thumb problem)!

i would like to upgrade to a pro alto, so i would have to trade in my alto, and sell my two theowanne mouthpieces and my guardella king, sell my body, and then i might just scrape enuff dough for a pro alto, but thrn i’d have to go back to my 4c mouthpiece … life is cruel

wayne wojnarowski
              Participant

I’m telling you sx poet i’ll buy one of the 2 mp’s , kick in my Meyer 6 my yanigasawa 7, tell your wife to come on over on vacation to Chicago and she can deliver the “GOODS” so to speak and I’ll show her the TOWN!!!

William Cingolani
                Participant

I’m buying the MBII. I can blow my Jumbo Java T-95 with ease. It has a tip opening 116 so the MBII should be easy to blow.

Dazza
                  Participant

I sm going with the MBII also. It will no doubt play great and as there is little discernable difference between them all I wont agonise over the decision for too much longer. Keen to know pricing though. These things are top end at all the places I have searched. Got me thinking how much can I get for the wife! Just JF take trade-ins? LOL

Anonymous

so far
                      RRafael – mbii
                      Dazza – mbii
                      Michael – studio
                      William – mbii
                      sxpoet – crescent (alto)
                      Wayne – king (alto) ?

wayne wojnarowski
                      Participant

Hey sx poet so it looks like you are going to sell me your king based on the post above!! thanks for your explanation about lacquer, and the very interesting story about the girlfriend of Guardalas. What made him get all whacked out?? I’d be interested in that MP as well. Are they as pricey as the Guardalas??

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.