Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions What do I need ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

Without going into detail; I am expecting compensation for my arm injuries, hopefully soon. I have been in studios, done tenor\bari parts; but have never been able to afford a home set up. Being a musician is tough !! Right now, I am down to a pad, one tenor and a great mpc. Could I get the lowdown as to what I am going to need to buy. For use in my practice room; to access the music library here; record myself and post back. I have a vague idea, but a definitive goal would be great.I can begin to look around with a view to a decent set up !! Many thanks in anticipation. Jak

john
      Keymaster

for recording at home you have 2 options:
        1. a computer setup which needs recording software along with external things like mic and digital audio interface.
        2. an all-in-one digital recorder which has pretty much everything you need built in

if you’re not sure have a look at both these options online, you’ll be able to see many examples.

Personally I have used both.
        there are pros and cons with each.
        these days I use a mac with pro tools software and love it.

jak Swift
        Participant

Thanks Johnny. This really is a very cool site; had some great messages. The Mac with pro tools is gonna be the choice; its all right there. Have a great day. Jak

William Cingolani
          Participant

Hi Jak
            I have a MacBook Pro. GarageBand comes with Mac computers so I use GarageBand. I used to use Logic Pro. I also used to use a Yamaha AW-2400 24 track audio work station years ago.
            http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-aw-2400-24-track-audio-workstation . I bought the work station from a music store for a very cheap price. The Yamaha AW-2400 was and is very complicated. Too many controls. So I went back to GarageBand. The first 40 pages of the manual tells you how to turn the recorder on.
            I use a Royer R-121 studio mic and a Audient iD14 interface. I have Altec Lansing speakers and ear phones for recording. Speakers and interface and ear phones are all connected to my computer, directly and/or indirectly. Logic Pro is a very good one

john
            Keymaster

yes good point William. garageband is the way to go. if and when you grow out of it then pro tools.
              most people will find garageband to have more than enough bells and whistles whereas pro tools is a big learning curve.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.