Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces upgrading my MP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    UU Pfister
    Participant

[embed][/http://youtu.be/5etk9G4-LHIembed]
      that’s the claude lakey rubber mp. sounds very good too

john
      Keymaster

Michael, that’s awesome to get that horn. If I lost my Selmer I would fefinately look at some other choices, the TJ being one of them. Even their higher priced ones are reasonably when you consider the Selmer’s…I think mine’s insured for around 9-10 thousand bucks, too crazy.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

9-10 grand is completely out of my league…….WOW, OUCH, what ever you want to call it LOL. I watched a recent interview with Big Jay recently and he mentions in that he plays a Selmer “Super 8” the link is attached below. I can’t keep up with all these lines of Saxophones LOL But he also says something along the lines of the keys being farther out and being able to get more projection, or something like that? I didn’t even know that was possible. Check out the interview below, what’s he talking about?
          What blows my mind is that the T.J. 88 that Massullo has for sale right now is even lower priced than the XS model of Tenor I was looking at but appears to be even better. It being lower priced is partly what is freeing up the extra $ for me to get the RAW Alto you did on your review, and is what I originally have wanted even before you did that blog article. Someone here in NM wants to buy my Vito Alto too…..hmmm. The vintage sound (and looks LOL) really appeals to me of the RAW. What I have strived to do is to make the best possible decision I can make given the $ I have to work with. I told the folks at Theo Wanne what Saxophone(s) I decided to pair up their MP with and they assured me not only that I was “good to go for many years to come”, but also that they’re MP would be a “superb” combination with the Saxophones I’ve chosen.

Anonymous

Hi UU – let us know how you go on with your mouthpiece selection? Interested to see if you go
            for the claude lakey? (go for the selmar.. lol)
            cheers
            sxpoet

UU Pfister
            Participant

Just ordered my Claude Lakey rubber mouthpiece and compass lig. I choose the 5.3 opening. Can’t wait to try it out. The metal ones cost £200. They had some for £140 on sale but it was an 8. I thought that wouldn’t be good for a beginner. Who knows In a years time I might upgrade to the metal lakey. Its the best sound I heard on an alto. Thanks for the advice.

UU Pfister
              Participant

Hi Sxpoet,I hope the Rubber sounds similar to the metal one. I read that the rubber lakey comes closest to a metal mouthpiece. We soon find out…

Anonymous

Sounds good UU – when you get it, i’d love to hear a couple of scales in the upper & lower registers to hear how it sounds?
                  cheers
                  sxpoet

UU Pfister
                  Participant

sometimes next week. You will defenately hear something. I also bought Johnnys How to play the saxophone. It explains everything very well.

Anonymous

That book is great for starting out!
                      I started Sax lessons (only 1/2hr a week) a couple of weeks before i bought Johnny’s e-book and it was a real help!
                      The book my sax teacher got me to work from for the 1st 6 months was “Team Woodwind Saxaphone Eb”
                      which is great as it has a cd to play along and the same books/tracks are sold for other wind instruments as well.
                      Sort of a woodwind team book as opposed to a bog standard just for one instrument type of book!

Once you’ve done the book, Johnny’s daily sax routine is worth getting as it gives you a 30min daily exercise
                      routine to keep your tone & scales in focus – i use it as an instrument warm up.

UU Pfister
                      Participant

yes I like Johnny’s e-book too. The only thing is I have to buy proper speakers for my laptop. Can’t hear the backing track, lol. I have two really good alto sax books. One is from Guest Spot 20 Jazz Greats with 2 CD’s. The other one is John O’ Neill’s The Jazz Method for Alto saxophone. There again I think when you look in to too many books can be really confusing at the beginning and I think I just concentrate on Johnny’s e-books. He explains everything really well. When you had your exam which Scales and Arpeggios did you have to do?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.