Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces upgrading my MP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    UU Pfister
    Participant

My TJ alto sax came with a Bari MP. I think the time has come to buy a good rubber one. Can’t afford an all singing and dancing one. So I need some advice please on the Otto Link, Selmer Spirit and maybe the Meyer MP. I’m tempted with the Selmer Spirit.

Anonymous

i recently bought a selmar s80c**
        and a selmar soloist D mouthpiece,
        on the advice of my sax teacher.
        The s80c** was very similar to a
        yamaha 5c mouthpiece he let me
        try out, but i liked the selmar better!
        He recomended selmars as being
        good for classical music. I did ask
        him about the meyers but rated them
        more for jazz setups!

Anonymous

http://youtu.be/q0ab4p9ZPkc

from 0:00 – Selmar Soloist S80C** (la voz med reed)
          from 0:44 – Theowanne Kali NO8 (la voz med/soft reed)
          from 1:23 – Guardala King (la voz med/soft reed)
          from 1:40 – Selmar S80C** (vandoren 2 reed)
          the soloist is supposed to be classical as well as 1940’s jazz style,
          the s80c** is definitely classical,
          the other 2 are more jazzy

Anonymous

http://youtu.be/d45ESfnp6gM

the previous upload didn’t work

UU Pfister
            Participant

thanks very much for posting this. I must say I like the selmer soloist best and the Theo Wanne the least. I reckon I just might go for the Selmer Spirit that’s more a jazzy mp. Which of those four do you like best?

john
              Keymaster

I have limited experience on those mp’s on alto but I can vouch for a Claude Lakey over a Meyer as I tested them both on this video:

Trevor James Alto Saxophone

Anonymous

i’m using the s80c** for the next year or so while i gel up for grade 3 next dec.
                  I plan to swap to the soloist later on, the mouthpiece is a bit wider, and when i play it, you can hear air coming out of it at the same time, so not quite ready for it, also it is a bit old fashioned jazzy!
                  I love all 4 mouthpieces!

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

Hey Johnny: I put a post here a couple of days ago in this part of the Forum that I ordered a Theo Wanne Durga MP, No.7 for Alto. I completed my temp.contract here in New Mexico and they gave me a bonus that I wasn’t expecting or even was told about–they give bonuses to their workers this time of year. I ordered it straight from Theo Wanne, so he’s making it and will ship it out; should arrive at home near the end of this month…just in time too because I get back home on Dec.23 🙂
                    The other great news is that it looks like I can get the RAW model of Alto that you did in your review v.s. the Gold Lacquered Signature model. I love that “Vintage” look and sound. The RAW model is about $500 more than the Gold Lacquered model, but it’s the one I really wanted; I’m thinking what’s best for me with long-term in view. Still got the new Tenor coming too…the XS model will have to be imported from the UK as they don’t have them in stock but they speak very highly about the TJ Classic II over the XS. It’s priced very reasonably too! I would love to pair it up with a Theo Wanne 🙂

http://massullomusic.com/product/trevor-james-classic-ii-the-horn-tenor-sax/

Anonymous

that claude lakey sure does beat that meyer! hot hot hot

UU Pfister
                      Participant

I’m very impressed with the Claude Lakey too. Off to the shop tomorrow to have a look. That Claude Lakey Lig looks interesting too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.