Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Tried some 2.5 Java reeds with the Guardala Studio……WOW! :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

😎 Hey Johnny,
      As part of my reed experiment, I have been experimenting with with Java and Juno cane reeds. I needed to get some reeds in light of the crazy weather that affected the ones I had (they were cracking on the edges, warping on the corners, chipping, etc) Funny thing is that when I went to the music shop to get some, it was reported that other players are having the same kinds of problems too, showing that it is the weather. I have the Rico protective case coming from Amazon this week.

As I learned in my reed experiment with the Guardala Studio; a size 3 Java was too big for me right now. I tried a size 3 Java with both “Rock Around the Clock” and “Mack the Knife” but it felt a little rough. However, a size 3 Juno is the same thing as a Java 2.5 (Juno care reeds are manufactured by Vandoren). Junos they did not have in stock, but 2.5 Javas they did; and I thought I would give them a try, seeing how they are the same as the size 3 Junos that I used in “Puttin’ on the Ritz” and “Tequila”. I also remembered your comment on recommending I go 1/2 size smaller with these uploads while using the Java reed……..WOW! I was instantly blown away with this 2.5 Java reed of how full & edgy this reed sounds with Guardala Studio. Practicing with this 2.5, I can’t believe I didn’t even think to get size 2.5 before and it’s amazing the huge difference these little things can make in our playing 🙂 This was a very, very valuable tip and unless you brought it out I wouldn’t even had thought about it; thanks!

john
      Keymaster

Great to hear it Michael. No use making it harder for ourselves by playing a size too strong, it can make the whole thing seem like more work than necessary. You experimented and now you know. Reeds and mp’s are the most personal thing, we can listen to players talk all day long about their recommendations etc but only you can really know and only by experimenting.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

That’s a great point you bring out and I know I remember hearing either on one of your youtube videos or reading it somewhere in something you wrote (can’t remember off the top of my head whether it’s here on this site or in your ebooks) that, as we’re learning about these things, we have to go through some experimentation; but once we find a set-up that works for us then stick with it. It amazes me with the Saxophone the huge difference that these little things can make.

john
          Keymaster

Hi Michael, have you looked up the Ricoh & Vandoren Web sites? Their descriptions of the various types of reeds is quite interesting! The Juno reeds are a softer reed aimed at students. Have you tried a Ricoh Jazz select filed reed yet? they are similar to the java reeds!

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Hey Sxpoe–thanks for the leads. Haven’t checked out either websites; but as Johnny mentions in his comment above we can listen to things other players say, read all we want to read, etc.. In the end we ultimate have to find what works for us and stick with it. An example is the MBII Mouthpiece with the Java 3 reed that Johnny uses–my understanding is that he’s been using that combination for years. He found what worked for him and has been using it every since. From conducting my own little experiment LOL(and I had to experiment, as the Guardala Studio is new to me) I can tell that yes, the Juno is softer reed than the Juno, which is probably why a Java 3 felt too “rough” for me when compared to a Juno 3. It was almost as if the Java 3 was “thicker” in it’s construction I guess you could say.
              And while the Java 2.5 is equivalent to Juno 3, the Juno 3 is STILL softer like you brought out here. But with the Java 2.5, the difference I saw immediately was that I’m able to play with even MORE of an “edgy” sound with very, very smooth transition to high notes (in a song like Tequila I did on the blog), that I was able to do with the Juno in that upload. When I did “Rock Around the Clock” with the Java 3, Johnny commented there that he wondered what a 1/2 size smaller would do…..and it hit the nail on the head for me 🙂 It has that “vintage rock” sound we all love.

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Sorry, that’s “the Juno reed is softer than the Java”

john
                Keymaster

if you get the chance – try out a Ricoh 2 Jazz select filed reed- i find them very similar to the Java reed that you are using. Sometimes i prefer either one to the other. You’d be surprised, i’ve written off certain types of reeds and come back weeks later and changed my mind. Like you say, stick with what works for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.