Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax this video just goes to show some people just cant hear the difference

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

this is good example of someone who can’t hear the difference in the quality of the sound between the two different instruments they are playing, both of them sound completely different to me. The selmer still outclasses the yamaha sound-wise regardless of what this chap is saying! His embouchure sound maybe the same, but the instrument sounds are vastly different, similar reason why some folks won’t touch plastic reeds in orchestra settings, they have more sensitive hearing i guess.

I guess different folks just hear sounds differently.

Anonymous

Hi sxpoet, I agree there is a much better low frequency range response with the Selmer. That’s why they are so highly prized. Johnny illustrated this with his comparison video when he compared two Selmers. The Mark VI is in a different class entirely. I recently watched comparison videos of violins and electric basses, cheap to very expensive and its those lower frequencies where the expensive instruments really shine.

Anonymous

Hi Jeff, this is week three on that tuning exercise, still got a long way to go with it, although there are still lots of tuning issues, the notes seem to be correcting pitch wise a lot faster, and are a lot more closer to pitch perfect, and i’m hitting them more concistantly. Three weeks of working on this one exercise, listing to the pitches and trying to get them better feels like working at a snails pace with no progress. Today i played somewhere over the rainbow, with a backing track, and the improvement of the sax pitches and control of the pitches that i heard while playing, i was actually stunned in the improvement, moving experience. This exercise has only been working from Low C to mid G (12 diatonic notes in C major).

Anonymous

Hi sxpoet, that’s good news – so those boring exercises are paying dividends!
            I’m busy working on my High-G. I’ve finished 3 x 6m and 1 x 12m, only 1 x 18m and 2 x 9m to go.

Anonymous

Lol – Hi Jeff,
              I don’t find these type of exercises boring, i find them challenging and interesting,
              for me it’s the equivalent of someone who does a cryptic crossword every day to keep their mind sharp,
              whereas i’m keeping my sax playing sharp (i hope).

I take it your talking about your roof? lol

Anonymous

Yep, I’ve gut-ter get it finished before it becomes too hot.

William Cingolani
                Participant

This is Kim Richmond. Kim was one of our Alto Sax teachers in Jim Widner”s big band at Drury’s Jazz camp in 1998.1999.He made his yamaha alto sing. He was the Yamaha rep at Jazz camp. He also represents Selmer. So the sound depends a great deal on the player. Kim could make a tin can sound melodious.http://www.kimrichmond.com

Anonymous

There’s two types of sound, the 1st main one is the player’s embouchure sound which may represent 95% of the hearing sound,
                    the next 5% of sound is the instruments sound. No matter what you do with your 95% embouchure sound, you can’t make it sound like that last 5% of a different instrument sound – that last 5% is a timbral sound from the instrument. Just like you cant make a piano sound or a guitar sound on your sax, in same way you can’t make a selmer sound on a yamaha instrument.

jak Swift
                    Participant

Interesting read guys !! I wish I had a comment…
                      I know how my 10M sounds….GREAT !!!
                      Other than that, I’m stumped..
                      I think I prefer it that way. Man, I used to read these lengthy essays on ” how do various lacquers effect the sound “…er…DULL !!
                      These days its all about …
                      If you got a decent horn , mpc and reed…your good to go !!
                      Words of jak wisdom….😊

jak Swift
                      Participant

😊…..this is the jak zen face…
                        For future reference …

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.