Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions the tone tablet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

http://www.sax.co.uk/tone-tablet.ir

anyone tried a tone tablet?

Anonymous

I’m not giving my sax tablets!

How about this upgrade?

Some may say this is guaranteed to make your tone sweeter.

Pin

Anonymous

@Jeff – lol

Sounds too good to be true. I’m quite happy with the quality of sound from my current setup, the current box of la voz reeds has lasted over a year, and every reed has worked straight out of the box,and the bix before that. with no work done on the reeds, i don’t know if its the eay i look after them that makes the difference. But i have noticed the reeds of higher strength do last longer, and the reeds i have lost are mainly due to accidents. if i change my mouthpiece, i would just go up a size.
          As for the sax, i’ve actually got used to it, and don’t see the point of changing it.

Anonymous

Hi sxpoet – I knew you would appreciate my little joke 🙂
            Now that I have a top quality MP, I too am very happy with my alto setup. Have you seen Johnny’s latest Alto sax CF MP demo? Man, his sound is awesome! The CF’s performance makes sense to me, because in a way the MP performs like a little drum, and hollow wooden drums make a great sound. I helped a friend build a windsurfer years ago from a polystyrene foam blank and using expensive carbon fibre cloth. The cloth was only one 2mm layer thick but when glassed with resin, it became extremely strong and stiff – there was no flex in the skin at all. A drum made from carbon fibre will resonate much better than a drum made from metal, hence the warmth and beautiful woody texture of the tone. I see people are also making CF cellos and violins now. When I have acquired some more skill and can progress to a +0.7mm MP, I will have to acquire one of those CF MP’s. Since I switched to Vandoren reeds I’ve had no problems and play every reed in the box. All I do is smooth the flat side on paper so it shines, and buff the rough side with a flexible nail buffer so it is smooth and shines too. I am very careful not to sand the leading edge of the reed and only work where my bottom lip presses against the reed. This buffing improves the seal and makes it much more comfortable on my lip. When my reeds become too soft I give them to friends who are also beginners who use them on their altos. Some of these reeds have lasted longer than a year and still play okay. I wash and dry my reeds each time after playing, and store them back in their hard plastic sleeves for protection.

Anonymous

@Jeff – if anyone isn’t confidant about the sound from their mouthpiece/reed set up, then yes, the best thing they need to do is keep buying more mouthpieces and trying out different reeds – eventually they will hit on the right combination. But seriously they need to know what style of music they prefer, as there is no such thing as one mouthpiece fits all styles. For me its about the style of music and the quality of the sound coming from my set up is far more important.

i’ve finished searching for my setup, if in the future i become dissillusioned with my sound, then i might start looking around for a different mouthpiece/reed combination.

But i agree if you’re not happy, then keep looking.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.