Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire The sound of silence

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Simon
    Participant

Hi,

I’m learning Johnny’s The sound of silence, but i don’t know at what bpm should i set my metronome so it would match with backingtrack. I’m a beginner ,playing 5 months tenor. If anyone can help me with that metronome, i would be very thankfull.

I can play song now at 66 bpm,but it doesn’t sound right.

Thanks,

Simon

Anonymous

The version I bought just says moderate, but according to these guys it should be about 104 bpm

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0107721

You could try setting the metronome at this speed and see if it matches the backing track.

Simon
        Participant

Huh that’s too fast for me. I’ll keep practising song every day and adding few beats to metronome every few days untill i get to 104 bpm. When i watch Johnny Ferreira playing it,it looks so easy,but actualy it’s pretty hard song to play it- for me.

Wonder if any Songs here on site are at slower tempo and with not too hard notes for beginner. Any sugestions?

Thanks for answer Jeff.

Simon

Anonymous

try amazing grace

Anonymous

green sleeves is another easy one to play for a beginner.

i put all my tracks on my i-pad, and i use an app called anytune pro+
              i open up anytune pro+, and it tells me the metronome speed of the song.
              i then connect my ipad to a portable pa sytem and play the backing track through that to fill the room with sound.

But the great thing about the app, is you can slow down the track, but an even better use is, it allows me to turn of the left side or the right side of track – which is useful, as some of the music/cd books i have want people practice in just the left side and then practice on just the right side, this is books that have both melody & harmony parts for the sax to practice

john
              Keymaster

I was gonna say that I’d be happy to get the tempo when I get back home but scpoet that app for giving you the bonus sounds great!

Anonymous

@JF – it’s a great ap, my teacher recomends it to a lot of students.
                  Another very useful function – is when i just need to practice certain problem sections in a track, i can set it up to loop around those sections. And it gives a count in before playing the loop section.

Simon
                  Participant

Thanks sxpoet! I’ll try that app.

Thanks alot to all for advice and help.

Simon

Anonymous

Good luck Simon, another function in the app is you can move the track up and down in sharps and flats. I haven’t tried this option, but the main use of the app that i use it for is for setting up a loops in various sections of the track that i need to work on repeatedly.

The great thing is when you reload the track, it remembers all the settings for a track.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.