Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video The Good Old Days

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

people say, record your playing, so you can look back, and see how much you’ve improved over time.

Well here we go, this was done in feb 2014, 3 months after i started learning the sax!
      Who said anything about “the good old days”?, more like “the bad old days”.

when i look at it …cringe, why, why , why?

john
      Keymaster

gee, I remember when you posted that on the blog! this is exactly why I tell everyone to record themselves all the time.
        try sharing a more recent version of that tune to see if there has been any improvement(wink)

Anonymous

Interesting looking back sxpoet. Your playing now’ snot what it used to be 🙂

How about a funky blues/jazz version of green sleeves?

jak Swift
          Participant

Ours is not to ask why Sxpoet , but to move forward…. Your doing great my friend …
            Gotta dash….☺

Anonymous

You wouldn’t believe that just changing the brand of a reed could double the sax volume.

I’ve been playing on La Voz (med/hard reeds equiv to a size 3 in other brands) and i bought a Vandoren V21 reed (size 2&1/2 equiv to a La Voz med reed) and the volume was twice as loud, i was struggling to play a lots quiter, and my teacher even asked not to play as loud in lessons.

It took me about 2 weeks to play a lot quieter, much harder on the diaphragm.

The other interesting thing, i changed the metal plate on my ligature that presses down on the reed from a thin gold plated metal plate to a thicker brass plate, and the sound has got a lot more body in it and this has made the higher notes a lot fatter.

So i’ll stick with this setup for another week until it settles down, and do another upload, in the meantime i need to buy a size 3 V21 reed and try that out (which might mean going back to the thinner gold plated metal plate)

jak Swift
              Participant

Aha, I couldn’t find this…. I missed the link..
                Sxpoet, your playing is getting better and better..
                Reeds and the inherent issues will cause you ; not problems , but an ever changing ” sound landscape “….Its something we all have to deal with.
                I say ” all ” ; as you know , I use ” Bari ” reeds ( the original synthetic ). If I’m not playing great, they can buzz a little…
                I didn’t change because the concencus ( sic ) is that the quality of cane reeds is getting poorer..
                That I wouldn’t know, though did get a bad box or two, before I changed back full time…
                Whatever your doing Sxpoet, keep it up man….
                SOUNDING GREAT !!☺☺

Anonymous

Thanks Jak, just need to buy/try a size 3 then its back to the la voz if it doesn’t work out

jak Swift
                  Participant

Good man Sxpoet….keep up the fine work….
                    Safe & happy day amigo !!☺

Anonymous

lol – i tried out ‘green sleeves’ recently, and was ok until i got to the bottom of the page, but am bit confused with the where and when of going into the repeat of the tune?

I’ll have to reread the sheet and relisten to what happens at the end of the page to do with going back to the top of the page.

Anonymous

probably just having another Senior moment!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.