Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Tenorsax !!

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by john.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

I just been speaking to Johnny about my securing a new horn. A few things. First, I want to apologise for the ongoing saga. In short, I had to sell my 46 10M last year and frankly I’ve been lost without it. Whilst my arm has been slowly mending, I’ve not been able to gig, record….Nada !! Getting by on a battered Jupiter has been no fun, but finding the Romanian horn, moreso the mpc was a blast. A few years back, I had the 10M, a Martin, and the greatest King bari. After thirty years, having to see it go, and start from scratch ?? Tough call. As I said, I did consider calling it a day, but that would have meant a life wasted. I don’t quit. I do make mistakes. With the money, I should have played safer and shop bought a tenor. In my defence, I adore fifties horns, the sound, the feel….the history. If anybody could find a picture of a ” Hammerschmidt ” Sthatstone, could I ask they put it up if possible. No real reason other than I want you to see a real classic, ruined by a guy who has no business being near saxophones. I guess thats

jak Swift
      Participant

….the good thing about the chat room. Hopefully, like minded people, you hope will understand even if opinion varies. This last year has put me to the test. One long line, of operations, lawyers, painkiller withdrawals….but its done. Now as the great ” AWB ” say…..I got work to do !! I’ll be around but really have to throw myself back at the long shed hours and hopefully a load of work to come. Take care, practice hard, on the days its not coming together, you feel like your going backwards ?? Pick up your horn and practice !!
        Speak in the near future….peace….jaksax xx

jak Swift
        Participant

Hammerschmidt SILVERTONE !!…….Man !!!!!

Anonymous

http://bassic-sax.info/version5/vintage-saxes/european-made-saxes/hammerschmidt/

adios gringo! May the horn be with you!

Good Luck mate – post some of your gig stuff on this site for all to see.

Anonymous
              Anonymous

Articles are interesting, but its the notes from the bell which I’m interested to hear.

Does a Sax made from silver have a distinct signature tone which differs from one made from brass?

brother cavefish
                Participant

i believe they are brighter

Anonymous

http://www.saxforte.com/saxophones/materials_and_finishes/materials_and_finishes.html

A interesting article that knows what its talking about.

At the end of the day play the sax 1st before you buy.

From the vast number of reviews i’ve read, and the vast number of youtube video reviews i’ve watched, they all have one thing in common – no one solitary scientific bench mark saxophone sound to compare the sound of every other sax built. What one person perceives as bright is dark to another.

john
                    Keymaster

also, don’t forget that a sax is not made from brass like a trumpet or trombone. although brass itself is a composite material the saxophone has less brass in it than a typical brass instrument. you’d probably find different saxes have different percentage. some older saxes I’ve tried you can actually squeeze the bell with a very light grasp of you hand and fingers… you couldn’t do that on the bell of a trombone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.