Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Tenorsax update !!…..again !!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi Jak, you are correct – nice tune.

jak Swift
      Participant

Cheers Jeff !! Yeah, its one of those that seem to get passed by. Give it a blast yourself man, again, its in the ” artist transcription ” series. I’d send you a copy mate, but I no longer have the book. Played it that many times, its second nature. Not difficult mate….all based around DM arpeggio.
        Hope things are picking up for you….best…jak

jak Swift
        Participant

” my little suede shoes ” fits in as a real nice quote. Spice it up a little !!

jak Swift
          Participant

So my mate and longtime tech Al has just dropped off the Romanian ” Arta Guban “…tight as a drum !!
            He threw in a clear resin soloist, which I left there a while back. The Bergs coming home tomorrow, and the TJ is on its way. Its early days but my man down south is retiring and shutting up shop, possibly as soon as the end of the year. He’s an absolute diamond, and hopefully we’re going to consolidate all I have, and get that 10M. I’m never going to be truly settled until I replace mine. Yup, its been a good day, started by Keith’s clip of his teacher playing that amazing gospel tune. Take care folks….speak later..jak

Anonymous

hi Jak, is this a good alto?
              IMG_1675

jak Swift
              Participant

sxpoet, hi man. In a word…STUNNING !! Note the way it is ” underslung ” ; that is, as you probably know, the octave pip, is on the underside of the neck as opposed to on the top. I don’t think it makes any tonal difference. Howarths have a great reputation, and the best techs in the country. Its beautiful. I’m going to take a look at the photos and if anything springs to mind I’ll get back. If you need any help with the transaction, should you buy it. Let me know. It would be my pleasure. ( just with you being so far away, I can speak to the guys and get the full story )

jak Swift
                Participant

WOW !! SO,here’s my thoughts. I’m not an alto player, but know my way around vintage horns. As well as being underslung, it is also ” double socket “. hmmm, by this I mean, on your average horn, the neck just slips into the body. Double socket means, the head \ top of the body has two rings. The neck slides between the two giving a tighter seal. Thinking about it my Conn tenor was DS in reverse. The neck had two rings and slid over, rather than into the neck. With me ?? I’ll check that further.

Second, the laquer. If you look at the right hand pinky keys ( EB \ C )…there is a slight erosion. A slight possibility, it has been relaquered and this is secondary erosion, but very doubtful. I doubt Howarths would go near a bad re lawyer, they really are the best.

Finally. Amongst Conn buffs, the ” naked lady ” is iconic. It is said the more you see of her the better the horn. Here’s a great example of er…in the words of the great Frank Zappa, a shot of her ” mammalian protuberances “….rare !! Usually you get just the face, and very faded.

So, tomorrow sxpoet, I’ll phone Howarths for you and have a good chat. If you are thinking of buying, I see no reason why they won’t ship worldwide. If perchance not, we’ll find a way. Do you have family, friends in the UK. It could go to them, and on to you. Man, if it were me, and it were the tenorsax equivalent, I’d fly in and carry it home. Its a beauty man…speak tomorrow..best….jak.

jak Swift
                  Participant

Double socket over 99% sure…..WOW !!

Anonymous

Thanks Jak, was just browsing the conn’s after reading your interest in obtaining a tenor conn. So was just curious as to how you rated the alto version.
                      cheers man!

jak Swift
                      Participant

No worries, have a good day sxpoet !!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.