Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Synthetic reeds

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

right, unless somebody wants Onyx Soft, we have a few left for both alto and tenor.

William Cingolani
      Participant

I did put an order in for a carbon onyx soft reed on April 6 for tenor sax. I assume the order is being processed.

brother cavefish
        Participant

have you tried soft, are they too soft, would they work on a 7 or are 8 and above reeds

john
          Keymaster

yes, sent that out to you end of last week William.

Tim56
            Participant

Guys, My 2 cents here! To Syn Or Not To Syn??? That is the question? The syn reeds have been around for along time now. Many long time players do not like them. Many reasons that I have heard. Johnny has just changed over. I have been playing the Carbon Med soft and Soft for a week now. Med is a little stiff, the soft is, well, soft. They both play well. the soft is hard to get the high notes at this time for me. The Med is some work for me. Med soft is Close to a 3 cane. They can be adjusted as you know. So, I go along till I get what I want out of them? Cane? Do any of you have, The Art Of Saxophone by Larry Teal? Done in the early 40’S. It has 6 pages on the care and feeding of cane reeds. Huh?? Cut this, sand this, shape this part. Really??? so, I started looking on the net for more opinions. Way to go Tim. Found a great player giving info on how he sets the cane up. Buy em, soak em for an hour or so, rub them on a flat surface and play! Easy. That is what I have been doing with cane. OK here’s the deal, I have been playing for 6 years. With many breaks from practice. I’m old, 74 in Jan of this year. I’m not going to the big hall unless I buy a ticket to get in. Johnny says I have a very good sound/tone, Hey, progress. I have been using Legeres and Fibracells. I found the Legere better for me. When I started, I was squeaking like mad. My teacher had a Fibracell. Here try this. It worked for me. No more squeaking! Yeah!! Got better cane, Vandoreen Jave 2.5’S Heres the good news, I have been invited to play at a National Woodie Car show in San Diego in September. A good friend of mine helps run the show. He also a retired musician. He was the drummer for, Dave Meyers and The Surftones in the surf band era. You can hear them on you tube. Anyway, I played Night Train for him when we talked last week. Said it sounded great! He’s old too! HA! Well, I knew you needed to know all of this? As I said, my 2 cents Tim

jak Swift
              Participant

Hi Tim. Your 2 cents, is just as good as the next guys. I have a lot of respect for my peers. Great news as to the festival gig. Blow them away man !!
                Best….jak

jak Swift
                Participant

” To syn or not to syn “…..LIKE IT !!

Anonymous

” To syn or not to syn “

Rather be right-choice, I’m for Cane and able – LOL

Tim56
                    Participant

Well done Jeff. Jak Your right Everyone has to find what works for them. I just put the only Bari soft that I have on my Otto Link New York. I’m amazed I can blow it?? Have not tried for at least 3 years? I must have improved my air support??? LOL The Bari is stiff! Now I have to play it to see how it comes out? Or, how long I can work with it? I’m old but I don’t give up. Hard headed some would say! Keep at it guys! Tim

jak Swift
                      Participant

A round of applause for Jeff folks, that is clever, clever, witty !!! GREAT !! Tim, hard boiled, soft boiled, easy over, your a sax player man !! Have a great day, and get to DAT Blowin !!! You KNOW YOU DIG IT…LOL !!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.