Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Synthetic reeds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

Well I’ve got half a dozen mpcs to try to make sense of. I’m a staunch supporter of cane reeds; I don’t believe any synthetic will recreate that fabulous woody tone. Problem being I have to match reeds to the various mpcs, a combination of time and money. I need a break from the buying , selling and sadly the aggravation inherent from unscrupulous dealers. Thieves !!! More often than not I keep one bari ( trade name ) synthetic. As far as I’m aware, these were among the very first synthetics. To even call them that is a bit of a push. They are clear, made of some fibre \ plastic compound and at a little over twenty bucks, a must. They come in standard, and a marked star. The latter is reckoned to be closer to the genuine cane sound, but that’s debatable. No soaking, no reedguard, no breaking in or wearing out, they just go on and on. Very much worth keeping one in your case if your not great at rotation, soaking, all that stuff. Take out the ” bari ” reed and it will play perfectly and consistently. When I’m settled on a mpc I’ll undoubtedly go back to buying boxes of cane, but yeah check these out. Take it easy…..jak

Anonymous

The great thing about reeds, is the vast majority of listeners can’t tell the difference between synthetic and cane when they listen to a reed playing instrument. My guess it’s mainly the top flight players would hear a vast difference between cane and synthetic. To me personaly, the high notes on synthetic reeds sound very false and squeaky.

jak Swift
        Participant

Strange you should say that sxpoet. I was wondering how I would do in a blindfold test. I just put this bari reed on the 120 I had tweaked and it sounded amazing. Sad thing is, yeah I haven’t played one for a few years and forgot how much I liked them, but it also says a lot about the standard of reeds these days. Perhaps, I’ll stick with it…..Nope, scratch that, I will stick with it. I haven’t sounded that ” alive ” for a while. I knew a lot of it was down to using mpcs that were 90….95….toooo close. The combination of my one of a kind mpc and that bari reed…..GREAT !! Johnny, you must have played these reeds man ?

john
          Keymaster

bari reeds? no haven’t tried them. I got turned off synthetic reeds a long time ago when I tried a legere. as you know I recently got turned onto fiberreed and they’ve been good so far.
            I don’t think I can tell the difference when others are playing them cause a sax player friend of mine told me that another of our mutual friends has been playing on them for years and I didn’t even know it. one can get use to them and make em sound like a cane reed…I know that now.

jak Swift
            Participant

Yeah, your probably right Johnny. If a guy’s been using them for time, his sound is gonna be together for sure. Never tried a Legere, but gave Hahn a go and possibly another brand. Really did not like them. I seem to remember Jackie McLean used bari reeds. Its the simplicity I like. Other than the star business….yeah they just make things a whole lot easier. I’m really stoked !! Finding the missing mpc….bari reed, I’m really going for it !! Just gotta get this horn nailed. The guy has played ball, and seems to have had a lot of grief off of E Bay, he’s sending mails promising the immediate return of the cash. All good !! I’m looking forward to a gnarly coupla hours playing today. It would be more but once again Liverpool is full. The horses run the biggest steeplechase ( over jumps ) here today. Not my thing, but my Mom comes from a long line of bookies, betters. She also has the luck of the Irish. Have a great day….jak

jak Swift
              Participant

I did check out the fibre reeds you’ve been using Johnny. Don’t seem to have hit the UK yet. One place may have them. The ” worlds biggest and best sax store “…..a horn Walmart. The owner has the scruples of a dog, many people won’t go near the place, myself included.

Pete
                Participant

Jak
                  You can buy the fibber reeds Johnny is selling from
                  Reeds Direct Cambridge the only one they don’t stock
                  at the minute is the carbon “onyx” go on the web and
                  you will find them.

jak Swift
                  Participant

Hi Peter. Thanks man. Strangely that’s were I get my reeds from. Only yesterday, or the one before, we were talking about them. Tim or John, did say the hemp reeds were not yet available, and not being a huge fan of synthetics, I played safe and went for another ” bari “. Only managed about an hour today, but at the risk of boring everybody, the combo of the ” lost mpc ” and the star bari….man, I’m starting to sound like myself again. All good with you bud ???

john
                    Keymaster

actually, the fact is you can’t get the Onyx Fiberreeds anywhere yet. the few Harry let go were the ones I came back with from NAMM in January. we sold them pretty quick off my site and now waiting for Harry to get his materials and molds updated for these new Onyx reeds as there have been some set backs because of a supplier (for molds and materials) bailing out on him. This is why you’ll see the “out of stock” on my reeds page. But he’ll be up and running soon and you’ll be able to get em here again and all over the world, just like his other Fiberreeds.

brother cavefish
                      Participant

no ones getting any Onyx reeds for about 2 months, i talked to them a week ago

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.