Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire surfer girl

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi Johnny,
      just started work on surfer girl, playing on alto.
      Bar 36, you left out the 4/4 on the sheet (minor detail).

Not played mordents before, so looking forward to trying them out tomorrow on bars 9 and 16.

i found your video very helpful, thanks, for me it does get slightly confusing when you flip between tenor and alto (probably because of my age) and mainly because i don’t play on a tenor.

I’ll give this bash tomorrow and then move on to the other vid’s

cheers
      sxpoet

john
      Keymaster

yes, sorry bout that…also I’m stuck with the tenor but I try to relate to both as I go, hopefully it’s tolerable.
        as for mordents you’ll notice I do tons of them in every thing I do so I think they’re very valuable as an expression

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback.

Currently working on some basic Jazz articulation techniques – quite a workout for the tongue, starting, stopping, building volume, striking hard – think Pink Panther where the suspense builds up, dynamics, timing etc – you get the idea. I’m not a complete nut case about jazz, but some of the jazz workouts, do require a lot more mastery and control of the sax beast.

Also Trying to learn Chopin waltz in A minor on the piano

good for melody, harmony workouts and timing and putting feeling into music, compared to just playing karaoke like.

After 3 yrs of playing, instead of the sax being in control of my playing, its feels more like i’m starting to get in control of the sax – still got a long way to go. Now when i pick up the sax, its like picking up a magical instrument, thats waiting to come alive.

john
          Keymaster

that’s the key right there…when YOU have control of it!
            that’s what all our wonderful work, practicing etc is all about.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.