Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video "Suicide is Painless"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    William Cingolani
    Participant

Trying to get a better tone. The tech guy at Sweetwater showed me how to set up my garageband for recording. So here is my first upload into garageband using the proper recording place, “Empty Project”

William Cingolani
      Participant

For “Suicide Is Painless” I used my Michael Brecker Fatboy and my Winslow Ligature. The Fatboy beat out Theo Wanne’s the Ambika and the Gaia.I was shown where to record on Garageband so all is well.Happy New Year every one

john
        Keymaster

Hey William, lots of good things going on there, way to go!
          good to see you’re getting along not only with your new-ish sax gear but also garagband.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said to others here because it’s getting more noticable
          in your playing and will help you improve a lot…

don’t allow your notes to end by stopping your breathing.
          you are doing this constantly and it makes the note sound flat in doing so.
          practice ending every note by stopping the reed with the tip of your tongue.
          this will really improve your intonation and overall tone.

when we end notes by simply stopping the air flow we’re actually depriving the instrument of
          necessary air support which of course leads to a thinner, flatter, wavery tone at the notes end.
          stay strong with the air all the way through every note and then to end it do it with your tongue.

William Cingolani
          Participant

Thanks Johnny. I’ll practice ending the note by stopping the reed with my tongue. I have some songs I’ll be practicing

Anonymous

Hi William

I like that mellow buzz you are producing from your sax.

I’ve just ordered ‘Ultimate Movie Instrumental Solos’, Alfred Publishing, ISBN-13: 978-0-7390-9189-0. Which has 60 songs and this ‘MASH’ tune is included along with the Pink Panther, a bunch of Star Wars, Harry Potter and James Bond themes. That’s going to keep me busy for quite a while.

Happy New Year to all and may 2017 be a highly productive year for sax skills development.
              Jeff

jake
              Participant

Nice one, tone improving fore sure!! The challenges of recording. They can be as hard as playing the sax sometimes. HaHa.

William Cingolani
                Participant

Johnny,
                  Today I practiced a few pieces like Dexter Gordon’s “Daddy Plays The Horn” and “Kansas City” using my tongue to stop the music. So I’m working on it. Play back sound was good too since I learned to record on “the empty Project”
                  recording place on GarageBand. Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous

@William – that’s the sound of a naked sax! Warts and All! Very Good Show! I just wish more people had the guts to upload even if it’s just once a month. If you don’t upload, then you’re depriving yourself of room for improvement and yes it is embarassing.

Every song i’ve played in front of my teacher, i’ve had feed back of what & where to make corrections, without his feedback & support i would blindly carry on playing the tune thinking everything was ok. It also gives you ideas of areas to work on, instead of just practicing scales and long tones willy nilly.

My teacher won’t let me play along to a backing track, until he’s ironed out all my mistakes and is satisified that it sounds reasonsbly ok for someone of my standard of playing. I have write on the music all the places to correct.

Also if any of you guys are intending on doing skype lessons with Johnny, it would well be worth your while uploading now, so he can identify any of your problem areas before lesson time?

William Cingolani
                    Participant

Thanks sxpoet. I working on some pieces with no backing track, just some naked sax.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.