Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation Success

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by john.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carl Robinson
    Participant

Finally managed to get the killer blues course, downloading now–can’t wait to start, like a kid at Christmas lol

Carl Robinson
      Participant

Been working on the basic Blues exercises for a spell and there’s some really useful content here. The descending portions of the G-F riffs are nice. Going from the F natural to Eb—She’s a squeeker lol

Anonymous

Lots of fun can be had out of improvising on the sax. Not only can you improvise in the blues scale, you can also improvise in the major scales as well, along to the same backing track.

Carl Robinson
          Participant

Thanks Saxpoet I really appreciate the feedback mate. It’s frustrating (in a good way) at the moment because i know note wise what I want to do, I just can’t do it yet, but as they say practice makes perfect.
            ps Still practicing long notes.

Anonymous

Any problems with the Killer Blues course, just ask Johnny!

brother cavefish
              Participant

i am pondering this myself, i don’t read music, or at least i don’t care to , i play by ear , but i would like to See the keys for the licks, does this corse do that, show key placement

Carl Robinson
                Participant

I don’t believe the Key for the relevant chord changes are shown Brother Cavefish, but the accompanying video lesson may mention it, Johnny would know for definite. For a total novice at Saxophone, this course has helped enormously, and has got me playing basic 3 chord Blues progressions. I’m still on the first lesson, but to be honest there’s so much relevant content here that you could use it over dozens of songs.

john
                  Keymaster

@Carl, good on you, keep at it. also, long tones should be an on-going thing.
                    @bc, I play by ear too. reading music is a short cut to learning, doesn’t mean it’s the only way. any musician would recommend being able to do both. but ya, the killer blues course sticks to the 3 blues scales in ONE key. when you’re playing 12 bar blues there is only one key to deal with so all the licks are in this one key…best way to learn.
                    for those beginners, a 12 bar blues has 3 chords, the 1, the 4, and the 5. these 3 chords are made up of notes from the same chord/key so no matter which of those 3 chords we’re playing it’s still the same key. make sense?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.