Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Stan Getz legend series

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

I gotta get one of those shirts !!

Mel
      Participant

I believe Sonny Rollins plays or played a Berg. My impression of a berg is that they sound good but from what I can gather they are a harder mouthpiece to play out of the metal family of mouthpieces??

Definitely forget the yellow shirt!

john
        Keymaster

Right Mel, Rollins played a Berg for a time. don’t know what he switched to or when etc but he had one for a while anyways.

jak Swift
          Participant

Depends on the Berg really Mel. So I’m gonna say something, I hope I can convey. With Bergs you have to be aware of a kind of forward blowing. With various mpcs I find my chops relaxed and blow easy. On my Bergs, I’m much more aware of a solid jaw, but yeah , that more forward blow. Its not a bite, nor should it ever be. Firm jaw, loose bottom lip.

Mel
            Participant

I know we are talking about Bergs but one metal mouthpiece I don’t read about is one my instructor plays. He plays a Silver Metal JJ Babbitt and man he has a nice tone.

jak Swift
              Participant

Hi Mel. A babbit is just an old link. Like Bergs, you can get too into the specifics. I know a Dutch guy, collects links. Dates, markings, rings ??
                Man, who cares !! Its all about the sound. Great to know you have a good teacher though Mel…have a great day…jak

jak Swift
                Participant

Didn’t see the JJ….Now I’m not so sure !!

jak Swift
                  Participant

Well yeah Mel, the original babbits were links and probably worth big bucks now. Just took a quick browse and it seems they are still about and making a varied selection of hr and metal. If you ask your teacher, and he is getting that fabulous tone, chances are it would be a link he’s had some time.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.