Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Stan Getz legend series

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

There’s one of these on flea bag right now. The company took a few…Bird, Chris potter, I think Dexter. The families or owners of these great mpcs let them make exact copies. The Getz one even has the slight indentations from his top teeth. I’ll get over it…LOL !! Its expensive !! It all began with Stanley and Zoot for me, before I wandered off into years of bari playing. ( surprised your so into Gerry Mulligan, Johnny ? ) dunno why, who doesn’t like a bit of west coast ( so long as they’re not bossas ). So yeah, anybody have one of these ” legend series ” ?? Just curious.

jak Swift
      Participant

Its a big discussion as to your tone. How much is determined by you, your technique, and the shape of your oral cavity. How much is the mpc.?? I can’t put a figure on it, but the right choice of mpc helps. Why do I ask ? I asked Mel to load up Bill Doggett playing Honky Tonk, if he’d be so kind. JOHNNY….Can you tell me what Berg he is using ?Again curious. I’m not going to rush out and buy one but one I need, its a good place to start, 90% of thirty years has been Bergs, tenor & Bari

jak Swift
        Participant

Hence I should rightly know…I don’t. There seem to be endless Bergs. I remember my ” Fatboy #9 ” well. That was so well suited to a 46, 10M I had at the time. Other than that, I’ve played many, many and couldn’t tell you the name of one. Its the sound that matters !!

Mel
          Participant

Hey Jak. Glad things are coming together for you! Here is some Bill Doggett for you.

john
            Keymaster

no way I can tell which mp he’s playing.
              IMHO your mp is the most important thing you can choose to improve your sound.
              more than the reed, neck, tone pads, even the saxophone.
              but you’re not going to sound like someone else because you bought the same mp as they did.
              there’s too many other things involved, such as the ones I just mentioned, but also the person and
              all that goes along with that such as air, embouchure, mouth shape etc.
              this is the beauty of the saxophone, the fact that each one of us can forge their own unique sound.

I remember playing on a Berg when I was a lot younger and before I discovered Guardalas. it was about 115 or 120
              so it was pretty opened but I think I found their tone, or projection too straight and narrow.
              But many well-know players have used them and they didn’t suffer from a narrow tone like me!

jak Swift
              Participant

I agree totally Mr.J…the mpc is the real ” business ” end, but man there are just so many these days. I was never in the position, or plain just didn’t buy a guardala…( sob )..it was all bari back in the day when you could buy them in London. By the time I realised I wanted a tenor, the prices had already taken off. No I’m good, very aware of what works for me. Berg, Dukoff, Quantum, Lawton is a list I’ll probably never move far from. Heard great things about the Navarro bop boy, but right now its just another name. I saw on E Bay….”fifties Berg..Picket\ Christleib ( sic ) ”
                At 130\0 it looked…er…tough. I could make it work but I’d have to drop a few reed strengths and again its big cash. No worries. Let me get the horn, and I’m thinking right now…open up my duckbill !!
                I know the guy for the job, I have the mpc….make sense ? Well see….great day all. Jak

jak Swift
                Participant

In my defence, the days of buying a horn or mpc to sound like ?? Are long gone. In a long winded way I was trying to suggest certain mpcs have a distinctive sound, but that’s after many hours of playing them. Johnny’s right totally here. Never buy equipment based on wanting to sound like another player….its not going to happen !! I just happened to check that Honky Tonk clip and it sounded like I’d expect a Berg to sound. (it was a different clip )….but yeah, that’s the jist.

jak Swift
                  Participant

Mel…thanks for your thoughts man. I have to confess I wasn’t sure which one was Bill Doggett. I’d heard the name and assumed he was the tenor man.
                    Not so….different clip…different guy ( ts )…I think ?? All that waffle about Bergs…wasted LOL !!
                    There is a clip. The band are wearing these hideous yellow shirts. THATS MY POINT !! In my opinion the guy has a great tone, and as far as I can tell its a Berg. Hard to call that one Mel, but thanks anyway….best…jak

Mel
                    Participant

Jak – here is an earlier version by Bill Doggett wearing yellow shirts.

jak Swift
                      Participant

Yeah…..that’s the one !! Thanks Mel. So, yeah, I’ve found my references point. To my knowledge its a Berg. I just love the way the tenor guy is blowing so free. Yup, I may be right or wrong but regardless its a tenor sound I definitely aspire to. Thanks Mel…take it easy man….jak

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.