Home Forums Share a Saxophone Video Sonny Meets Hawk

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by saxjohnny saxjohnny 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Sonny Rollins and Coleman Hawkins

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

This Coleman Hawkins Is Good!!!

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

thanks mel, love all this stuff.
    also been listening to a lot of Ben Webster and Gerry Mulligan (2 of my faves).

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

I have been listening to some of Ben Webster. He is very good also. I’ll have to check out Gerry Mulligan.

Thanks!

Mel

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

Mulligan is a bari player. check out his octet stuff. he usually doesn’t use a piano player in these and writes for a handful of horns, like 3 saxes and a trumpet or bone. this set up has a very cool sound and leaves it more open for the horns…very tasty and interesting stuff from him.

Aminn Ellis
    Aminn Ellis
    Participant

Check out King of the Tenors and Soulville by Ben Webster. Those are my two favorite albums of his. Also take a look at Coleman Hawkins Meets Ben Webster, where the two play with the Oscar Peterson Trio. They’re all fantastic albums, and they’re all on YouTube!

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Spent the day listening to Gerry Mulligan. Thanks Johnny! There is so much good music of his. I haven’t paid much attention to the baritone saxophone but he sure can play. He has an album with Ben Webster also plus one with Stan Getz. Liked a lot of the piano less music with Chet Baker also. All good stuff!

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Ammin – just started listening to King of the Tenors as I post this. Gonna work my way through all the Ben Webster albums. Will listen to Soulville next.

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

yes, I have Soulville and King of tenors as well….love em. listen to Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster one of my faves.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.