Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Sheet Music for “Fly Me to the Moon.”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Johnny,
      Fly Me to the Moon is coming along very nicely–I’m really putting some “rip” into the Tenor; that’s the great thing about practicing during the day v.s. at night LOL
      I noticed it shows on the sheet music I downloaded when I bought Fly me to the Moon that it shows a rest of 16 measures, but watching you play it on your video you only rest for 4 measures. I also noticed a pretty cool thing you did when you played this song; at the marker on the timer of your video from 1:31 to 1:34 you played some notes that added some flavor and spice to the song and these notes are not on my sheet music, was this just something you did “Ab Lib?”
      Killer Blues exercises coming along great, Taking the first 3 exercises (Blues Scale, Improvising and Minor Scale exercises) and working on 1 of them a month–focused on taking my time and learning the how-to’s of the lessons.

john
      Keymaster

yes, I was too impatient and blew something there which was not on the sheet music!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

You were just really excited and having fun on that song 🙂 My wife LOVES it and my youngest ones start swaying their heads side-to-side whenever they hear it, they’re STARTING to do the same thing when they hear me practice it (I guess that means SOMETHING, not sure what that something is though yet LOL)
          Speaking of hearing, given the scale for this song, that little “ab lib” SOUNDS SOMETHING(just thinking off the top of my head right now as a guess) like a D, C#, D, C# (played back and forth between these 2 notes for a little bit and played with a little blues type of swing) and ends with D, C#, B and A and SOUNDS like it’s all played as 8th notes with a blues swing with the A played as a half note with some emphasis on it, almost like a little scooping of that of note of sorts? I’m just thinking about it off of the top of my head for now, but I’ll get to it with the Saxophone this week. At least you not including it on the sheet music is good for basic ear training. That’s what I have to do with the sax solo on Take Five anyway. I have started to learn that song on my Alto, just taking my sweet time on it. My main thing I’m working on right now Improvisation.
          Speaking of Improvisation, I doing something kind of unique and that is taking SOME of what I’m learning in the first lesson from Killer Blues, combined with some riffs/licks I’ve picked up of my own by experimenting and watching you/others, then using it in part 1 and part 2 of your Improvisation lesson here on the home page/backtrack, and adapting it to those scales (for example, part 1 of that lesson for the Alto is in A and Tenor is in D). You bet I’m memorizing EXACTLY what is in Killer Blues with the scale of C that we’re working with, but would it do me much good if I couldn’t apply that knowledge to OTHER scales?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.