Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions sharps and corresponding notes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Being new I have a question that I can’t seem to find.

If in the beginning of a piece of a music if there are #’s what are the notes?

#=G; 2 #’s=D; 3 #’s=A; 4 #’s=E; 5 #’s=B; 6 #’s=F#; 7 #’s= C#

Did that make sense?,,, but what else I dont understand is what would the next note be.

As an example White Christmas’ on the Alto there are 4 #’s but what would the next note be?

Vinny

john
      Keymaster

Yes, this makes sense. The sharp signs in the beginning of the music are called the key signature. This tells us the key the music is in…
        These sharp signs are sitting on the note of the staff, and that’s how we know what note it is.
        So in your first example G, there is one sharp, which is an F#. If you look at this first sharp you will see that it’s sitting on the top line of the staff, which is the F note. The next sharp is C which sits in the space of the C note of the staff etc.
        The next note that will be a sharp is always a 5th away from the last note. Look at your example: G D A etc… if you look at the keyboard you’ll notice these notes are a perfect 5th apart… this is called the cycle of 5th;’s and that’s the theory behind how keys work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.