Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Saxophone out of tune?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Noah Nicanor
    Participant

Hi,

So I got a grassi tenor saxophone, the seller says it’s made in the early 70s. Well looking at fingering charts, the fingering for a “B” will play a “A” on my Saxophone, “C” will play a “B” and so on. Is my saxophone made to play like that? Any adjustments with the mouthpiece and neck doesn’t do anything

Marc
      Participant

Nooooouuuuuhhhhhh…
        You surely made the “novice error” every woodwind beginner player makes.
        Before taking any action, read about transposing in this forum, or everywere on the net.
        The tenor is a Bb instrument. This means that when you play a C (middle left finger key only) it sounds a Bb (or A# which is the same). So if you read a tuner, it’ll display Bb when you finger a C and A when you finger a B. It’s normal. Tenors sound 2 semitones below the written (fingered) note.
        The MP adjustments on the neck shifts tenths of a semitone for fine tuning only.

Ggood luck!

Pete
        Participant

Noah
          Just move up one whole step, that is if you are looking at a concert key
          written C in concert then you play D on your tenor sax, which on the tuner it would show C
          if it was A concert you would finger the B note on sax, which the note A would show on tuner
          and so on.

Noah Nicanor
          Participant

Ahh haha thanks everyone, it is my first time picking up a saxophone and I had it for about a week now.

Marc
            Participant

If you want a good tuner that supports transposing, this is the best I’ve found so far. Only android version, no iOS so far. The transposing, along with other interesting features are available only in the paid version (around $2).

http://tuner-datuner.en.uptodown.com/android

And if you’d like a “hardware” tuner, you could go for a Korg Dolcetto, one of the few that have the transpose function.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/tuners/dolcetto/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.