Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Runaway

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

Love the new tune you put up. That is one I’m def putting on the list. Would be cool to have the Bari lines in the song and then play a few saxes in the recording. Sounds like a nice little project I will work on soon!!! Love those oldies!!

john
      Keymaster

Ya jake it’s a fun one
        I won’t write out the separate sax charts but I can tell u the notes if you get stuck
        For the Bari it’s mostly the root notes of the chord

William Cingolani
        Participant

Great song Johnny. I had to listen to it over and over, pay close attention to the notes on the chart and watch you play noting where you stopped playing during the organ solo to see how the music is set up……and this is a long sentence. I have it marked on my sheet music where I stop and start again.

William Cingolani
          Participant

Hi Johnny. Just ignore my comments posted at 6:11 am. Too late to delete it. Great song, nice solo. I’d like to memorize it. One of my favorite rock and roll songs.

William Cingolani
            Participant

Major & Minor scales
              Johnny,
              This is about Music Theory. Take the song “Runaway”. The key signature for the verse is E Flat. Why do we say the music for the verse is C minor. Why not just call it E flat. We have the major scales, and all those scales within those major scales use the same notes within those major scales. Let’s say a note that precedes another note by 3 semi-tones is called a minor of that scale. E.G, D major and B minor, B minor has two sharps like the major D. The minor scales have the same sharp notes and same flat notes and same natural note as the mother scale. I looked this subject up on the computer and the explanations carried me back to Beethoven and Bach. I think about these things while walking the dog.
              William

Anonymous

when i have a music lesson, my teacher asks me what scale the music sheet is in, and he often catches me out when it’s a minor scale. So now i scan for the extra sharp used in a minor scale. I did read somewhere, if its a minor scale, it starts on a minor chord?

Mel
                Participant

It’s always fun to watch Johnny play his songs!

john
                  Keymaster

William, remember, every major key has a relative minor. we can’t call it an Eb major because it’s not in Eb major just because there are 3 flats. so, the relative minor of Eb major is C minor, which also has 3 flats.
                    Look and listen to bars 7 and 8…the chord here is a G major which is the 5 chord. listen to what the song is doing there…banging out those shots on the 5 chord preparing everything to go back to the one chord which is a C. If the song was in Eb the 5 chord would be Bb.

john
                    Keymaster

sxpoet, that’s a good bet if the signature has 3 flats and the 1st chord is a C minor it’s in C minor but we can’t be 100% sure just because of that. no reason a song in Eb major can’t start on a C minor which is the 6th and totally fine.
                      looking for the next best clue is to find the 5 chord cause it’s the most important. as I said above to William, the 7 and 8 bars beat out a G major as it’s heading to bar 9 (the C minor which is the tonic). now you’re sure it’s in C minor and not Eb major.

jake
                      Participant

When will this song be available? I went to the song page and it says coming soon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.