Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Resistance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Carl Robinson
    Participant

I’m about a month into learning the Tenor Saxophone now and things are coming along nicely. I get around an hours practice a day, with a few more at night just fingering scale patterns etc and brushing up on theory. The Blues course has been superb so far and has got me started with a basic three chord progression. It’s easier for me now to produce notes and control the volume better, and the long note lessons my Teacher gave me have really helped a lot, but I’m noticing a lot more resistance when I blow! I’m definitely not hallucinating lol. When I started I set a goal of being able to play “Aint no sunshine” by Bill Withers. At first I would run out of air and the phrases were very “lumpy”. But now it feels like I’m pushing/compressing air in front of me, and I’m not getting rid of my lungs fast enough, when I need to breathe it feels like my lungs are full. The phases sound a lot better though lol.

john
      Keymaster

nice to hear Carl. breathing is everything on sax! sounds like it’s coming together for you.

Carl Robinson
        Participant

I’m loving it Johnny, can’t wait to get up and practice mate. Looking forward to being able to play some of those guitar licks I know on the Sax, might even start notating them.

john
          Keymaster

that’s a great idea. transfer what you already know to the sax. you might find you’ll start playing stuff different than on guitar even tho it’s the same licks. but either way it’ll help.

brother cavefish
            Participant

bitchin song for sure,

jak Swift
              Participant

Yeah, Bill Withers is the man !! I have ” use me “, Johnny’s interpretation is great.I think I have six or seven now. Pad is synced to a new Sony sound bar, so hard work all the way. Only hassle is having to get prints on A4, rather than squinting at a small screen. I have a full screen plasma in the ” music room ” ( a mess of drums, amps, horns, and stacks of music. Get that linked to the pad, dots full size. Its all leaning toward Summer busking. A mix of BTs and solo tenor. ” Picasso “….” Everywhere calypso etc “. John Handy’s ” Hard Work ” would make a great BT!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.