Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds ReedJuvinate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    Participant

Got my Reedjuvinate this past Monday. Picked out 3 new reeds and touched them up on the back with my Reed Geek. Then put them in the reedjuvinate case set up as instructed. Thursday I took out reed #1 and put it on my sax and it was moist enough to just play away. Friday reed #2 and today reed #3. When I put reed #3 away I looked at reed #1 and #2 and both were still moist and shaped the way I put them away. Now just need to see how long this 3 reed rotation lasts. I’m thinking a good long while.

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Good thinking Mel–About 6 months or so ago I had to take similar steps to protect my cane reeds. I live here in the South and the humidity is a constant problem and it can really affect my cane reeds. I started using the D’Addario Reed Storage case that holds humidifier packs and it does an awesome job of protecting my reeds–they stay moist and never, ever warp. I put the link below. When ever I get a new box of reeds the very first thing I do now is treat all of them with the Reed Geek, let them soak a little bit in a half cup of water, squeeze-dry my reeds with my fingers to get rid of any excess cane fibers, and then they get stored in D’Addario case/small humidifier pack. Have never had any problems with reeds warping and all of them play very consistent. I’ve looked at various synthetic reeds because caring for cane reeds is a lot more extra work here where I live, but the added warmth/projection that cane reeds give makes it worth the effort. I talked with the good folks with Fiber Reeds on facebook (Fiber reed company that Johnny did a review on their reeds) and they say many players are switching from cane reeds to their line of reeds. If I can find a synthetic reed that I feel comfortable playing and would equal a cane reed in tone, I would switch to them (it would be a real time saver), but so far I haven’t found one that works for me. I tried the Legere reeds, very fake/phony sounding to my ears. But there are other players who use them and sound great.
        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SN7VGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

brother cavefish
        Participant

rico reed holders work great for me

Anonymous

I’ve just had a look at the mint flavour Listerine I use, and the composition per 20 ml is Thymol 12,78mg, Alcohol (95%) 4,54 ml, Sodium Benzoate and Benzoic acid.
            It also states it is ‘Sugar free’ which means it is not loaded with sugar! So if we find an air-tight container, place a section of sponge inside dampened with Listerine, keep the reeds in their plastic holders, it should work just as well as long as the reeds aren’t water-logged. I’m going to try this reed storage method once I find a suitable container.

brother cavefish
            Participant

try it Jeff, i would use the plastic holder that comes with Vandoran reeds just to keep shape of tip, it appears thats the same shape holder in the reedjuvenate

Anonymous

Hi BC, I prefer the reed plastic holders where you slide the reed in from the back. The pressure on the reed is more uniform and it is better protected. I keep my two playing reeds in a (effervescent tablet) plastic tube now, but I made a hole in the cap so they can dry out to prevent mold.

brother cavefish
                Participant

even better, you are right, my suggestion was only because it “looked” the same as the reed holders in the Reedjuvinate, , only one section of pressure,

i have Rico reed holders and they work great,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.