Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds reed problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

Question for Johnny or anyone that may have an answer to my problem. I have been playing on my new fatboy on my tenor sax. I am getting the best sound (to my ears) using a fibracell 2.5 reed (synthetic). Here is my problem. When I really get to blowing into the mouthpiece the reed seems to stick to the back flat part of the mouthpiece. I wanna say its sticking because when I move the reed a little side to side it plays fine for a few notes. I took off the lig that came with the mp and tried out a rovner I have. Seems better but I still have this issue. It seems to happen when I really blow and get into playing loud. I have some Java 2.5 reeds and this doesn’t happen. I tried scuffing up the back of the reed and even applied a little key oil to no fix. I also have a fibracell 2.0 but I can’t play that reed as it seems too small for me, when I push it, notes are horrible. Anyone ever have a similar issue like this??? I really want to stick with this fibracell, the best buzz I’ve ever had!!! Thanks.

Anonymous

i don’t know the answer to your question Jake, but i know
        someone who plays lots of gigs professionally, and puts the lig
        in 3 different positions when he plays depending on if he’s playing
        rock, classical and jazz. Have you tried with the lig in different
        extreme positions – closer to the tip, in the middle and far away from
        the tip as possible?

jake
        Participant

yea, I have tried that. These reeds have a shiny surface on them as compared to cane reeds. I notice that when they are wet they don’t absorb saliva as easily as cane reeds. I wonder if thats why they seem to be sticking to the end of the metal mouthpiece. Thats why I scuffed up the reed a little to make it more difficult to stick to the mouthpiece.

jake
          Participant

I found an older fibracell reed I had and it played better, I wonder if I got a crap REED? Gonna order a new one and see.

jake
            Participant

for anyone following this, I received my new fibracell today. wholly moley!!!!!! the old reed was the problem. man, paired up with this fatboy, i’m in tenor heaven. thanks for for suggestions sxpoet!!!!!!

Anonymous

@Jake – cool, i’ve learnt something new!

Joseph Bernardi
                Participant

I’ve tried fibracell and legere reeds. I have better results with the legere. Your mileage may vary.

William Cingolani
                  Participant

I have some fibracell reeds from years past. Jake are the new fibracell reeds better? Is the 2.5 fibracell reed the same as the java 2.5?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.