Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Reed Cases

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve CA
    Participant

I’ve seen some videos about Cases for Reeds. I guess it is about protecting them; helping them preserve their shape and condition. Recommended for most folks to have a “case?” What do you think? Any other options that work just as well? It’s not that a “case” would cost all that much, so it’s not about the $$$. It’s just that I don’t want to get caught up in all the accessorizing that is so typical in anything that folks buy.

For example, as a guitar player for forty years, I can list a MILLION (slight exaggeration, but you get the point) things that folks might recommend as “Accessories” to playing a guitar. Many of which you really DON’T need, and can do just fine, without.

One guy I saw, had taken a plastic spice bottle (the kind that you can buy at your local grocery store) and kept it in his case, as a place to put water and reeds, to wet them. He didn’t carry his Reeds in it. He had some sort of black Cigarette case type holder with sections, for all his Reeds.

-Soupy

john
      Keymaster

yes, you can get a small piece of flat glass, mirror or such, lay the reeds down and wrap a tight elastic band to apply pressure on them. this is a home-made reed guard!

Steve CA
        Participant

Interesting option……….thanks. So you recommend having something to carry your Reeds in, besides the box they come in, eh?!

-Soupy

James
          Participant

I use the Rico reed cases. They come in 2s and 4s, I use a white paint marker on the black cases to denote 2.5, 3, etc. I use Vandoren Java Greens mostly but if it’s ZZ reed, I note that, too. That way, I’m not pulling out reeds willy-nilly looking for a 2.5 or a 3, etc. while I have my horn hanging off my neck.

James
            Participant

I also ‘date’ my reeds with a Sharpy so I can tell if I’m using a new or old reed.

brother cavefish
              Participant

rico s are great and cheap, they push the reed flat as the thicker part of the reed is inserted, works great for me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.