Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Reed about it

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just when i thought i’d worked out which brand and type of reed works for me…

I went in a music store couple weeks back, and they were selling off a load
      of single vandoren reeds still in their air tight packets, so i bought one of each
      type in size 2.

Got home, Opened a Vandoren traditional, a Vandoren Java green,
      a Vandoren ZZ, a Vandoren V16 , one of my La Voz and one of my Ricoh!

All of them worked perfectly, except the Vandoren tradional which was
      a bit hard to play.

I soaked them all together for 15 mins, shook the water off them,
      then rubbed the bottom sides on a table top for 15 seconds,
      then rubbed the top sides with my finger to bury some old skin cells
      in the reed for 15 seconds, then pressed/rubbed real hard with my
      thumb nail on the top sides for 15 seconds to seal the pores.

john
      Keymaster

Well done. I would have been wary about buying single reeds as some stores sell them that way and what’s left are the rejects…maybe that’s not the case here.

jake
        Participant

so did you notice any differences between the reeds? Prob a little hard to give a good critique without playing them all for a period of time though.

Anonymous

I bought them a couple of weeks ago, so i played a new one each day, just to try them out.

Like Johnny says – you have try em all, it’s what works for you that counts.

However i will say this … months ago i stumbled on the perfect reed!

It’s like you listen to hundreds of singers, then along comes an early micheal jackson,
            who makes everyone else dull!

You just can’t believe how easy it is to play, how responsive it is, and the sound
            is so clear & pure in all the registers, its a joy to play with!

Once i heard how that reed played, the impact was so stunned in my mind,
            that now when i pickup a new reed i can tell straight away if i’ve found another one,
            that plays like it! So i’ve got a benchmark sound in my mind if you like.

Of the recent ones the la voz & the vandoren v16 come a close 2nd.
            But like i’ve found out before i’ve found perfect reeds in most brands!
            I’ve been lucky enough to find the odd one in a box that is perfect!

When you have to retire your best reed, its a nightmare, and i avoid it
            by looking for several perfect reeds and keep them for a later date.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.