Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Question about songs that can go up a semi tone.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

😎 Hi Johnny,
      I’ve noticed, in listening to lots of songs from Michael Bolton and Gloria Estefan-songs that I plan to do on my Alto sax, that many times you’ll hear the concert key change as these songs progress, going up a semi-tone. Examples are Michael’s Bolton’s song of “Can I touch you……there” (my wife LOVES this song) and his version of “When A man Loves A Woman”, or another example is Gloria Estefan’s “Here We Are”, songs that I’m going to do on my Alto (I hear more of the alto sax in these songs v.s. the Tenor). When an artist decides to change concert key like you can hear in these songs mentioned, is it the norm that they will choose to go up by a semi-tone? Are there songs out there that can change concert key by more than just a semi-tone?

john
      Keymaster

you can change to whatever you want but key modulation (as it’s called) is done for a reason, and in the cases you’re taking about it’s to increase emotion level and/or to build up in some way. A semi-tone is perfect for this specific effect.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.