Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Question about playing high F#/embouchure on the alto

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey Johnny,
      Hope you had a great road trip–My question is about the role our embouchure/lower chin plays when playing a high F# on the alto, it seems that if I loosen my bottom jaw somewhat then the high F# gets out much better v.s. “biting down” on the MP, which is some of the well-intentioned advice the guy over the counter gave me when I bought my new reeds. I tried as he suggested and it seems like, when biting down on it, the reed is somewhat constricted and it doesn’t allow air to flow freely out v.s. loosen up on my jaw a little, maybe even lower it, just a little bit? When I watch you play a high F#, it doesn’t look like to me your biting down on it as the salesman at the music shop suggested I do, seems like your embouchure is actually pretty relaxed. When we have our private lesson, when your schedule permits, this is one of the things you can watch me do/provide feedback. Monday still looks good for me, just let me know if we need to change that; Thanks!

john
      Keymaster

yes monday still works for me… when playing high notes we need to put more pressure on the mp but it’s not biting down on it so much as it is adding more support from the lower lip… maybe that’s what he meant. For the lower notes I go the opposite and relax the lower lip more.

john
        Keymaster

have you tried dropping your jaw slightly lower an then extending it slightly forward – sort of makes your mouth chamber slightly larger – so you’ve got a larger volume of controlled air pressure entering the mouth piece. a bit like blowing upwards into the mouth piece instead of directly into it. i find this works for me – but could be completely utter rubbish ! only a suggestion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.