Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Question about Fiber Reed compared to Cane Reeds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey Johnny,
      When you did the review of the Fiber Reeds, was the Hemp reel the 1 that felt the most like a Cane Reed? Sure sounds like it–I’ve seriously considered looking into Synthetic Reeds but haven’t yet come across 1 that helps to project a ‘warm’ sound like a Cane reed does. Here in the South with our humid, wild climate; Cane reeds can sound like a totally different reed from 1 day to the next and it can sometimes get to be pain in the butt! With a decent synthetic reed I wouldn’t have to worry about it at all…talk about a time saver. I’ll be taking care of this here ASAP, Thanks for your help 🙂

john
      Keymaster

I have all the fiberreed models and prefer the onyx…hemp was 2nd but a little thinner sounding (although feels nice and easy to play)
        the legere one I have I don’t like at all
        I also have a fibracel that I try every once in a while. the very first time I played it I really liked it but now I don’t anymore…doesn’t seem consistant
        the only synth reed I do use consistantly (even on recordings) is the onyx.
        BTW, I don’t know exactly whats happening with them cause we were told they’d be all stocked up for June. there was some delays with the new production machines that fiberreed got recently so I’m hoping they’ll be ready soon. I get several emails asking and have orders on hold but nothing yet.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Sounds great. If you found that the medium fiber reed worked best for you then probably medium-soft would be best for me. I always play on a 2.5 medium cane reed. Yeah, I thought I had read a post somewhere a few weeks back about there being some kind of a hold up on the reeds. When ever you hear an update can you make some kind of a post on it here on your forum? Thanks 🙂 On a side note, I tried the Legere synthetic reeds a few weeks back…talk about a reed that felt fake and ‘phony’; didn’t sound anywhere near as full/open as a cane reed.

Pete
          Participant

Hi Michael
            Good to hear from you again, regarding fiberreed, after listening to Johnnys demo
            I went for a MH HEMP and I am really pleased with it, plays straight off no
            problem, I would have preferred the onyx after hearing Johnny who sounded great
            but there is a delay. Here in the UK they are not available so hoping Johnny
            can get hold of the onyx soon but try the hemp I think you will like it.

Pete
            Participant

Hi Johnny
              Any chance of you doing A Whiter Shade Of Pale sometime
              on tenor, love to hear your version ( keep it original)
              I know these recordings take a lot of your time, but
              love to hear your take on it.

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Nice talking to you Peter 🙂 Over the past few months I’ve been very busy getting a new business going–I worked as a pro-level fly fishing guide for many years and I now have a contract with our state fisheries dept. to do classes with people on fly fishing for bass, panfish, trout, etc.. It feels really great getting that going here in the Ozarks–everything I’ve done before was out west for trout, northern pike, hybrid muskies, etc.. That plus been doing quite a bit of traveling…and playing Sax. It’s fun but I’ve had to start saying ‘no’ to a few things–have a family to raise and I can’t be out traveling all the time. I did put a post on the forum here on a back-up Sax that I’ll be looking to get. I’ve had some close calls with my Trevor James SR Tenor and I’m paranoid of it getting knocked off the stand, etc.. My family and I will be heading out of state to visit family and I have no intentions of taking my Trevor James Tenor on an airplane…airplane staff sometimes just don’t pay attention to what they do. The Trevor James will stay home while the back-up Sax will come with me.
                Those reed demos that Johnny did are great and I love Cane reeds–but it gets tough here in the Ozarks. With the environment, they can change from 1 day to the next. With a good reed like Johnny shows I would really help. I’ve tried the Legere Synthetic reeds a few weeks back–I didn’t click at all with them.

john
                Keymaster

the onyx aren’t available anywhere in the world….not just here or UK….they simply have not made them yet due to a delay in some machines.
                  once they get thru this issue they’ll be pumping them out pretty steady I would imagine.
                  Peter, I already did a version of Whiter Shade of Pale… did you miss it?

Pete
                  Participant

Johnny must have missed Whiter Shade, don’t no how
                    always on the music forum?

jak Swift
                    Participant

Hey Peter….all good mate ?☺

jak Swift
                      Participant

Good call r.e. taking your horn on a plane Michael. Two choices. Extra seat…$$$ !! Or a pro flite case…more $$$…LOL !! So long as your second tenor works OK, sounds the right way to go. Fly fishing in the Ozarks. Don’t fish myself, but sounds idyllic. Nice one !!
                        See y,all soon….jak ☺

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.