Home Forums Altissimo Course progress

This topic contains 38 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jak Swift jak Swift 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant

Took a minute to make a comment- Over the last few weeks I made it a point to do at least 5-10min of learning the overtones (on about 6 practices), and I’m able to get 1,2,3 an occasional 4, 5(but only a few, more by luck that they came out) then it’s as if my reed shifts gears and out pops 6,7,8. Those are at least on the low Bb some of the easier ones to get to come out. Even on the Bb (I’m on my Alto) the first overtone is very difficult to get to clear up- it’s usually a mixture of the low Bb and the overtone giving this mysterious “dual-note” sound.
    Yeah I jumped ahead to some of the altissimo fingerings before getting the overtones solid for curiosity sake, and alot of the notes are coming out. The A, Bb, B being the easier ones. I have only hit the G with Johnnies fingering a few times for a brief passing moment then it disappears.
    I do only have a size 2 reed that I’m working with thus far, and will order some 2-1/2’s and 3’s to experiment with. I think my time on the 2’s is passing and it’s getting where they feel a bit soft and can “shut off” on me when I want to really push a low note.
    Well back to work…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@kevin – well done, to play an altissimo G briefly you’ve mastered 2 out of 3 things

1 – you know the fingering
    2 – you’ve now got the correct embouchure

3 – you now need to get your breathing under controll to properly support the note – until then most of the higher altissimo notes will also fizzle out likewise.

try overfilling your stomach with a lot more air, release and you should start to make the sound last longer. Otherwise keep at the higher overtones and try and play each one for a count of 4

Profile photo of jak Swift
    jak Swift
    Participant

I reckon I’ll give the altissimo course a blast. Over years on different horns the fingerings change. Should have the new tenorsax in 10 days or so. Altissimo is not my weak point persay ; just be nice to have a definitive fingering. Up to now….trial and error; another guy will show you his way. It really depends on having a tight horn, but yeah let’s get the horn and I’m in !!! Jak

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.