Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Plastic reeds

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

sounds like a pad leak the way you describe what’s happening in the low octave.

Z
      Participant

I’m hoping it’s just reeds cause I put a newer one on and it’s fine now I think. The ones I got have apparently run their course. I just hate being the guy that blames everything on the reed; but sometimes there’s no other explanation.

Anonymous

i remember many months ago asking the question ‘when do you chuck your best reed?’ – The only way
          i can tell is when i feel something is right – after 10 mins of playing it doesn’t sound as good, the notes loose there shine,
          the very top notes get harder to
          control in terms of long tones &
          the very bottom notes dont have
          that kick – in general the reed
          doesn’t doesn’t want to respond
          as well & i notice i start having
          to work my embouchure a lot more
          than normal to get the same sounds.

my teacher drives me nuts, he gets
          a pair of clippers out, cuts off
          the tip of the reed & carries on
          playing like nothings happened –
          i stand there open mouth thinking ‘What? for Real?’ – i wish i could
          that, mine go straight in the bin.

Frank Basamania
          Participant

Here’s my two cents. When I purchased some reeds on the internet they through in a box of plastiCOVER reeds for free. They made my sax sound cheap, kind of like a toy. That turned me against them, I had a 10% off coupon so I purchased a Bari reed, it’s some kind of plastic, I thought that was horrible,(I want my money back!!) made my sax sound very, very dark. I also purchased a FIBRACELL which is a man made material, this one I love, it sounds great with my Berg, I would never have believed it. It’s so easy to play, not having to soak reeds and the thing won’t die, I think it was in the $10 range for one but it I’m still using it after about a month.

Hi Folks,
            This is my first post here so let me introduce, my name is Luis Pablo Gasparotto and I was the Hahn reeds distributor for the Americas. I’m the guy somebody referred as the Argentinian Hahn reeds provider. I don’t represent nor distribute Hahn reeds anymore, I’m developing my own product at this time, I’m at a very advanced stage of the developing process.

I’m a synthetic reeds big fan because I think they have a better pros/cons relation than natural cane reeds. I play synthetic reeds exclusively since 10 years ago. After testing almost all available synthetic reeds brands and models I realized there’s a right synthetic reed for everyone. Of course, certain synthetic reeds could demand an adaptation period. I think the synthetic reed is the best option for those players who want a reed which “just works” or a kind of “plug and play” reed. A well know saxophone player said “nothing compares to a very good natural cane reed but, how many of them (if any) you get in a 10 reeds box? Synthetic reeds are more like an average natural cane reed”.

I did a few recordings for comparative purposes (not for sharing my below average playing level). I used the synthetic reeds I like the most on both alto and tenor.

Alto reeds Mouthpiece was a Meyer 6M and saxophone was a Martin Imperial Handcraft (1935).

Tenor Sax Mouthpiece was a Saxscape SL and saxophone was a Holton 241 (’30s).

I did these recordings as a blind test, I’ll share the reeds brands and models later. Your opinions will be highly appreciated.

Anonymous

couldn’t view any of your stuff!
              my teacher was recently moaning about the synthetic reeds, he reckons they manufacture them differently now so they don’t last as long!
              me – i don’t know anything about them, to me its like smoking cigerettes – some people like to roll their own others like to buy em in packets – personal choice i guess

Hi James,
              You just need to download the files on the links and then extract the audio files using WinZip or a similar tool.

Anonymous

it’s probably cause i’m using an i-pad?

Leo Jr
                Participant

I use a fibracell 3, on my Otto link 6 mouth piece. I am able to use a fibracell 4 on a simple plastic mouth piece.
                  You can buy them on Amazon for abou $16 but the last for months.
                  Leo

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 66 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.