Home Forums Saxophone Reeds Plastic reeds

Tagged: 

This topic contains 65 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by jake jake 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 11 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

I think 8 weeks is not enough experience for that reed strength. If you made that jump and it worked out I wouldn’t be shocked but it ‘s obviously not working out. I would get a couple #1’s and a couple of #1.5’s at this very beginning stage for a while. Then try a #2. Getting on a 2.5 right away is not good advice from anyone.

carol cassidy
    carol cassidy
    Participant

Hi Johnny

Many thanks I’ve take your advice .

Thanks Carol

Profile photo of Jimu Grimmett
    Jimu Grimmett
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Have you tried Hahn reeds?
    I’ve been using them since I was busking in Stuttgart Germany in 2000.
    I am not a pro player, but find them easy to blow, very long lasting and not so subject to weather conditions, no need to soak em either!

They cost around $23 us each, but one will last me easily 6-9 months.
    I get mine from a supplier in Argentina, fast and efficient.
    Definately worth a try in my book.
    I’ve tried the Legere reeds… To me they feel a bit dead in comparison to the Hahn’s
    Cheers from New Zealand.
    Jimu

Randy
    Randy
    Participant

I think some of the illusion is that the synthetics are consistent in quality. I use Legere and really feel the signature series is the best for me. I have found that 3 out of 4 play great. They back up the quality so you can return the ones that do not work right. There are nuisances of cane that are hard to beat but when I find a cane reed that I love and play it to death and then wait until I find another like it in the future….sometimes its a long wait. With the synthetic you can jump on the reed right away and feel confident that it is going to give you most of what you are looking for. (My take) So my guess is that synthetic will only get better as the technology gets better too.

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

No, but sounds interesting cause I’m not totally comfortable with legere either.
    thanks for the tip!

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

Believe me, I’m rootin for them to get better, would love to put on a synthetic and feel as good as my Vandorens do.
    Don’t forget that your mouthpiece plays a role in it too. My awesome java vandorens suck on anything other than on my Guardala mp.

Tim56
    Tim56
    Participant

OK Guys, My 2 cents here. I have been playing both Legeres and Fibracells for 3 years or so. I also have a Bari plastic. The others are not really plastic. There is a Hann reed out of Germany that is supposed to be very good. I have bought some accessories from Steve Goodson. nationofmusic.com He has all kinds of stuff. Check him out. He called me about an order and asked what reed I was using. I said Fibracell. He said, right answer. So, many views out there. Steve has been a pro for years. Does not travel anymore. I did use cane yesterday. Alexander and La Voz, Rico. OK, but still the squeak from me. More than likely, a personal problem? My teacher says I sound fine. Others say it’s OK too. Guys, Johnny could play a barn door and sound great! I think they call that, major talent!

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

For me, cane reeds are the best but they can be inconsistant, thing is when you do get a great one it feels real nice and can last too, depending on the brand I think.
    Every body is different so only you can decide. I’ve tried most of the ones people have mentioned on here and I still use cane reeds. Personally, I can’t scream up high or sub-tone softly down low with anything other than a real good cane reed. Wish I could because synthetics last a really long time!
    Regarding having problems with your cane reed, you may need to try almost half the box before you get the good one, also. most brands take a while to break in so give them another chance before you decide.

Profile photo of Bo Fritts
    Bo Fritts
    Participant

I tried a Fibracell on my alto, it made playing quite easy for me as a beginner. So easy, that my breathing got messed up because I did not have to breath as much. I keep it for times when I am having trouble learning something new, and it helps. Then I can take the new piece onto a natural reed.

Tim56
    Tim56
    Participant

Hey Guys and Gals: I have been using synthetics for over 2 years. Fibracells and PlastiCovers first, then Legeres.. I like all of them. That said, I don’t use the Plasticovers too much any more. There are 2 types of Legeres, Studio Cut and Signature. You can sand the Studio Cuts. The directions in their case tell you how. I have done that and they seem to work better for me. The Signatures can not be sanded. Out of the box and away you go. Cane drove me nuts when I started 4 years ago. Too much squeaking! I almost stopped playing. I got a box of Vandoren zz reeds at Johnny’s suggestion to give them a try again. I am able to play them, the sound is good, but at my living altitude 6000 ft, it’s very dry. I know many guys that play at altitude that use syns and stay with them all the time. The bottom line is, what works for you! I will report back on Sunday after I have a lesson with Johnny! Tim

Profile photo of kevin broughton
    kevin broughton
    Participant

Have been playing a fibracell reeds for the last year. Had 3 reeds in the hole year , each one played the same as the last one
    no buying a box of five to get one good reed , not say there better than a real good cane reed but you can get the same tone ever time
    Have tried two boxs of rico select jazz in the last two weeks got one real good reed out of each box but they sound completely differant

Tim56
    Tim56
    Participant

Hey folks, I had my lesson with Johnny. Do it! He is a great guy and is a good teacher! He listens and tells you how your sound is and how to improve it. We worked om effects and tunes he has and mine too. Great time ans well worth every penny! Tim

Viewing 12 posts - 11 through 20 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.