Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire One Mint Julep

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey Johnny,
      One Mint Julep…..GOOD stuff. That’s the Sax music that gets to me, puts me in a GREAT mood 🙂 Thanks so much for your great tracks/sheet music.

john
      Keymaster

thanks Michael, ya I know what you mean.
        I used to sorta play the King Curtis version years ago but lately I been hearing Ray Charles version on my boat and every time it came on it floored me so I started playing it again and then decided to do the full tracks etc…..glad you like it.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Never knew King Curtis did a cover of that song. I checked it out; you made the right call there for sure about doing it in Ray Charles’ version, much more ‘groovy’ than King Curtis’ version. It’s not too often that we hear a cover of some song that King Curtis did v.s. someone else did a cover of the same song that was better.

Mark Casey
          Participant

Excellent track Johnny.
            I’ll get some good mileage out of this one.
            I did use this http://onlinetonegenerator.com/time-stretcher.html
            to speed it up to KC’s version.

When can we expect a few Lionel Prevost backing tracks?

cheers, Mark.

john
            Keymaster

thanks Mark, those tools can be very helpful that way.
              I’m not familiar with Lionel Prevost

Mark Casey
              Participant

O.K. Johnny.
                It must be a different Johnny Ferriera I’m reading about.
                https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?279073-Lionel-Prevost-Moscow-Twist

cheers, Mark.

john
                Keymaster

Mark, that was me mentioned in that interview but I just realized what happened…
                  Lionel Prevost and Lionel Torrence are the same guy, but because he changed his name I didn’t recognize it when you mentioned prevost, sorry bout that….ya he has a huge juicy sound but hard to find a lot of his stuff and I don’t have any.

William Cingolani
                  Participant

While plying with ONE MINT JULEP I was able to hit Altissimo G for the first time. I was using my tuner to see how high I could go using the fork key, the octave key, the middle C key and this flat key behind the lower index finger and lower middle finger on the right hand. On my chromatic concert tuner the note showing first is concert E and with more blowing concert F shows and that’s Altissimo G on the tenor sax. I have Johnny’s Altissimo charts. Working my way up to the good times

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

Very cool William 🙂 Altissimo G is the hardest note in all of Saxophone to play consistently. Alt G# is a pain too LOL Once you get passed those 2 notes then it becomes relatively easy. If you can hear those notes in your head then you can play them. Don’t you just love Johnny’s Altissimo course? 🙂

Mark Casey
                      Participant

Ah..I thought after I posted that might be the issue.
                        Pity, stuff like ‘Moscow Twist’ or ‘Flim Flam’ would sit nicely alongside the K.C. material.

Also due to having a modern horn with an F# key, the altissimo G has been easier than falling off a log.

cheers, Mark.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.