Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation one bar opening riffs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

has anyone got any one bar opening riffs in G they want to share for
      the alto? that i can try out on the sax.

Anonymous

when i get time i’ll put some one bar riffs in dropbox, for chords
        in G,C & D, and some two bar riffs in chirds G & C.

If you’re improvising in 12 bar blues G for alto, you can try out starting with a one bar riff in the 1st chord (G) and use your imagination to improvise the rest of the 11 bars.

i’ve some from my lessons to try out, but hope to start making up my own.

I was hoping anyone else thats being doing the killer blues course or the major imptovisstion
        would have come up with some of their – assuming they got that far.

Just trying to stir up some interest in this area.

Jazz Cat
        Participant

great idea… a riff library of sorts, in G is great w/G 12bar blues notes… maybe we could all post ’em over time

William Cingolani
          Participant

Sounds good to me. A library of 12 bar blues riffs.

john
            Keymaster

I have 7 starter licks at the end of the Killer Blues book but they are written in C concert.
              If anyone who has the ebook wants to transpose them to G and share them here it’s ok by me.

Anonymous

Excellent, hope to start trying out some 1 bar riffs for the 1st G7 bar chord in the 12 bar blues tracks in G major this week – using the G,C & D major scales and the basic blues in G or a mix of all three scales.

john
                Keymaster

@sxpoet, when you say you’re practicing them in G do you mean G concert or are you playing them G on your alto? (so E concert)

Anonymous

Hi Johnny,
                    i’m practing in G on the alto.
                    Now that i’m using the mouthpiece
                    in the right position, i’ve got more of that blues sounding on the
                    sax,
                    Looking forward to spending a couple of hours tomorrow jamming
                    to a blues track & starting to
                    improvise.

Anonymous

Here are those starter licks in G for the Alto in a PDF document from Johnny’s Killer Blues Course.

I hope I got them right this time!

7 licks in G for the Eb Sax

Anonymous

Good work Jeff – i found that useful, i hope more people are encouraged to share their riffs particularly if they have been doing Johnny’s improvisation courses – be great to see them written down and even better to hear what they sound like – regardless of whether their uploads are polished performances (more interested in hearing their composition attempts, than hearing the errors/shortcomings in their playing – i’ll leave that to someone of Jf’s expertise to critique from now on.

I recently bought this book off the internet

https://improviseforreal.com/Products/e-book-improvise-real

not trying to plug it, but was surprised to see how close his approach is to mine – he takes any scale and renumbers it from 1 to however many letters there are in the scale and then superimposes it on a staircase
                        and gets you to move up and down the staircase numerically in steps rather than talking in flats and sharps or notes relative to a major scale. Interesting book.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.