Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions new mp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

Hey Johnny, quick questions 4 ya. I am in the market for a new mp for my tenor. I currently use a B3 #5 (china made metal mp got on ebay) with 2.5 to 3 cane reeds. I seem to move the air well through it and made decent sounds. I also use a Gigliotti Maestro Hard Rubber #7 which I can play fairly decent. I am looking to change it up with a new aggressive mp with some edge. I was looking at a Berg Larsen 120/0 metal mp online. According to the berg website the opening specs as follows:
      90: Close / 95-100: Medium Close / 100-105: Medium / 110-115: Medium Open / 120-130: Open

I would like to try it out first but can get a decent deal for a used one online. Do you think the 120 is too open for my amatuer status? I don’t want to have to take all my energy blowing and not be able to play the sax… and do you think there will be much of a difference in my sound?? Thanks a bunch!!

john
      Keymaster

I used a Berg many years ago but had the opportunity to walk into a large music store and try several of them. Do you have this option? If not ordering online is a bit of a gamble. I would definately go for at least med open to open but then it’s such an individual thing. It seems you are already playing with med to med-open now so the 120 seems like the logical move…. it’s what I would do, i may be the right jump for you, if not you can always try a lighter reed to make it easier to play.

jake
        Participant

Did you like the Berg? What’s difference between an open and closed in regards to playing. I assume more air will be needed but are there playing differences? Not all sax players migrate to open mps. Are there advantages/disadvantages to them?

My local store does not offer testing. They seem to drop ship many items as they don’t stock many mp. The used one I just purchased was through an online music store and they have a 60 day return policy so I decided to give it a whirl. If I send it back I won’t be out much. I just hope I can play it. I will drop reed sizes if I need too. As always, thanks so much for your words of wisdom!!!!!!!

john
          Keymaster

I liked the berg from what I was using, but then I moved on again, and again until I found my Guardala.
            The bergs are narrow, I think they are the narrowest of all mp’s. I think anyone looking for a bigger sound must go as opened as possible… of course this usually needs to be done in a progressive manner. I think your idea of going for the 120 makes sense, especially if you have a return option, blow it for a few days and then you’ll know either way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.