Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Nasal Sounding Mouthpieces?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Z
    Participant

So I got these mouthpieces: A Jody Jazz hard rubber 7*, Jody Jazz Jet 7*, and a Vandoren v16 T7 Hard rubber mouthpiece. I’ve previously been playing on a hard rubber otto link 6*. It has a pretty smooth and dark sound to it though. When I play on these other mouthpieces, it just sounds weird to me. Maybe it’s just because I’m not used to hearing how it sounds or something but to me it’s almost nasal sounding. The notes are not hard to play, but the actual tambre itself is like that on all three of the new ones I’m trying out. Maybe to somebody else it sounds fine/more full/just plain better but I can’t tell. I’d put up some recordings of each but I recorded them all from my Iphone and you can’t tell a difference between any of them with that. Have any of you had this sound come out when you played on a “Professional Mouthpiece”?? Nasal sounding is the best way I could word it, but I’m still not real sure.

john
      Keymaster

well, those are pro mouthpieces…I find it takes a while to get use to most mp’s
        play each one a bit every day to see if you start to like them better.

Z
        Participant

Wow… Nevermind! I’ve been playing witht he Jody Jazz a while and wow. I guess something did happen and I got used to it. My Otto link naturally had a breathy subtone to it, which was nice, especially on those low notes. But I can use double lip embouchure on the Jody Jazz to get the same sound. That nasal sound I mentioned was rather a louder, punchier tone, and it’s not necessarily “nasaly” as it is just raw power now. It’s cool. It also get’s rid of my problem of not being able to play loud enough because I can definitely blow louder than on that Otto Link before. This is going to be a really great piece. I think I’m definitely going to stick with it.

john
          Keymaster

that’s good because if you can blow louder it means you’ll start to develop a bigger tone. keep at it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.