Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces NAMM

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

Man, this is great. I really suggest you all take a listen to ” Easy Street ” by the Edgar Winter group. I forgot what a storming alto player the guy is. His brother, Johnny is a blues legend. The thing for me is back to the fact I only have an alto right now. I’m trying to convince myself, I can make it work. Each day I take out the Bird omnibook, but who wants to hear me play Donna Lee ? Not me for one. No this is way cool. There is a great attitude to the vibe, and its obvious why you made this choice Johnny. Its frankly, the alto extension of your style. Thanks again for taking the time man. It couldn’t have come at a better time….jak

john
      Keymaster

when I was a young teenager just really starting to be a musician I was turned on to Johnny and Edgar. a lot of casual fans don’t realize Edgar is a really good sax player. he’s had so much success as a lead singer and keyboard player that the sax thing almost plays a back seat, but I’ve heard recordings of him when he was 16 or 17 blowing alto and it’s almost unbelievable how good he was. I used to have the recording but may have lost it cause I haven’t seen it around or else I would share it.

When David lee Roth put out Easy Street on his solo Lp he got Edgar Winters to do the sax solo but they only arranged that version for half the length that Edgar had on his. so check that out too…he pretty much played his solo note for note on Roth’s recording too.

jak Swift
        Participant

Yeah thanks again Johnny, I will check out Roth’s take on this great tune. Again, Edgar is way ahead of his time alto wise, the guy took no prisoners, hard hitting, great tone, its kind of surprising he didn’t get more recognition, but with his keys,vocals and Johnny as a brother, they were the full hit. I once was lucky enough to see South side Johnny many years back. Man , there was a section. A wall of sound, wondered if you ever got the chance to meet them, have a blast with them Johnny. All good here a little odd playing solely alto but its a good experience and as I said, in time the tenorsax will be replaced. Frankly I don’t have a lot of choice so better to embrace it than to find problems which really don’t exist. Great day all…jak

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.