Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? My reeds keep breaking

• This topic has 29 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

at this point you can just stick to the regular Rico reed, that’s the one in the orange box. yes there are better reeds but these are good for your first few months of playing.
      my concern is regarding the “small gap” you are leaving when placing the reed on your mp.
      as I say in my reed video, the gap there should be more of a hairline which is almost even with the top of the mp. sliding the reed down much below that can greatly effect the performance. when adjusting the reed you must push it onto the mp tip with your thumb so you can see where it’s sitting.

Mark Kiziuk
      Participant

Hey everyone! I told a friend at work with around 30 years of sax playing and he figured it out right away! He told me NOT to touch the reed with my tongue at this time. He told me down the road I stop the reed with my tongue but definitely NOT now because I’m way too new. And it’s the stopping of the reed that’s breaking my reeds. I guess I got a little ahead of myself to stop the reed with my tongue too early on. Eh..What did I know? And yes, I definitely moisten the reed in a cup of water for about 5 minutes.
        Mark

Mark

Anonymous

That’s good news Mark – a experienced sax friend you can meet and talk to is worth 2 on the internet.

Mark Kiziuk
          Participant

Well. He works in the same company as I do, but he works for a different department so I only really talk to him if the boss ain’t around and I got a quick question to ask. I found out he can play the sax when I had my sax delivered to my company, and I took it out of the case. He asked me if I play the sax, I said no but I want to learn! He said that he has been playing for over 30 yrs. he even tried it out and told me what was wrong with it (I bought it used off of eBay) I almost have it entirely fixed,just waiting on a piece of felt, that should be here sometime this week. Please don’t say because I know someone who can play a sax is worth more than a couple of people on the Internet.Not true! Everyone on this site is equally important!! You r all my friends!! And each and everyone is helpful!!!
            Mark

Jazz Cat
            Participant
              Mark Kiziuk
              Participant

Thanks!
                Btw what part of NY r you in? I’m in Brentwood,ny on Long Island
                Mark

Pete
                Participant

Mark glad you have sorted the reed problem out
                  I did say forget tonging at this stage when
                  you have gotten the hang of your sax and getting
                  notes out then think about tonging etc

Mark Kiziuk
                  Participant

I guess I accidentally skipped over that part, when you said that, sorry Peter.
                    I just tried practicing again with saying TA but WITHOUT stopping the reed with my tongue and I still have a little piece broken off this time, but not as bad as before (I’m glad I bought 20 cheap Lazarro reeds) I’m also thinking it might be at sometimes my bottom teeth might be hitting the reed. I try to keep my bottom lip over my bottom teeth, but it might be possible that my bottom lip slips a little bit? Just a thought.
                    Mark

Anonymous

Thats cool Michael – if you are lucky to have an experienced sax player that you can meet and talk to, you can resolve things a lot faster than having to rely on people second guessing your sax problems through the internet.

Anonymous

lol – confusing Michael with Mark?
                        a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.